PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here...mild holograms from finishing glaze 3.0?

Vossman
05-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Hi, first post here. I'm a novice and need some help!

I have a griots DA and have used it four times since I got it six months ago. I have used Griots one-step with orange CCS 5.5 pads, poorboys SSR1 with white CCS 5.5 pads and now Wolfgang finishing glaze 3.0 with a gray 5.5 CCS pad. I followed each polishing step with either pinnacle liquid souvrain or meguiars NXT paste on lowest speed with a red 6.5 CCS pad. My two vehicles are a 2010 Tacoma and a 2006 corolla. The Tacoma paint is in good shape with only light swirls. The Corolla suffered years of drive thru car washes before I educated myself (with help of forums like these) and wash at home by hand now.

Each time I have polished I would say I am as much learning technique, pads, product as I am successful in producing desired results.

I never felt I had damaged my paint until I used the Wolfgang finishing glaze and gray pad this past weekend on the Tacoma. I had used SSR1 six months ago in an attempt to remove the light swirls but found the product very mild and seemed to only add some depth and gloss and only the faintest swirls were removed. I chose the Wolfgang as it appears it has a bit more correction ability and is highly rated and I wanted to remove the light swirls from the Tacoma.

I polished with the WFG3.0 and gray pad after a thorough hand wash (as I had done with all other times before polishing) I did not clay as this had been done six months ago (and it seemed almost nothing came off in the clay at that time) and I had used pinnacle paintwork cleanser two months ago before my last waxing.

I was super impressed with the WFG3.0 at first as it removed or greatly diminished the light swirls in the paint, didn't seem to splatter or dust really at all and left a great gloss and color to the paint. I topped it with NXT as usual low speed with red pad. But today in bright sunlight I see very slight holograms off to the side of the direct sun reflection. All over the truck, too. Not just one spot. I hadn't noticed in the garage and hadn't seen it due to high clouds yesterday. Only in full sunlight.

These holograms were definitely not there before. The gray pad was brand new. I primed the pad with a QD a few times during use. What do you think went wrong? Bad technique? Toyota paint not a good match with this product? Higher humidity this time of year? I'm open and grateful for any input. I bought a DA with the idea that I couldn't mess the paint up, but it seems at least a
little bit I have.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-16-2012, 12:48 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say it's oils from the wax or polish that were not completely removed, which can definitely create a hologram look. WG FG will not cause holograms, it's too light of a polish. Go over an area with IPA and see if that helps. There's no way you can damage paint with such a light pad and polish. :)

Vossman
05-16-2012, 12:57 AM
Thank you Zee. I will definitely try that.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-16-2012, 01:04 AM
Thank you Zee. I will definitely try that.
No problem.

Buy some 50% IPA and dilute it 1:1 with water. Or, pick up some CarPro Eraser. This stuff is awesome at removing car polish residue, oils, etc. I'm almost positive it's left over oil residue from whatever you used.

Vossman
05-16-2012, 02:19 AM
Zee, i appreciate the help. Your thoughts of it being oily residue make sense. The paint really does look great from up close and at all angles in lesser light. Is it always a good idea to do an IPA wipe down or use a product as you suggest between polishing and LSP? Could a person just wash the vehicle between steps instead?

Mike Phillips
05-16-2012, 06:24 AM
I polished with the WFG3.0 and gray pad after a thorough hand wash (as I had done with all other times before polishing) I did not clay as this had been done six months ago (and it seemed almost nothing came off in the clay at that time) and I had used pinnacle paintwork cleanser two months ago before my last waxing.

I was super impressed with the WFG3.0 at first as it removed or greatly diminished the light swirls in the paint, didn't seem to splatter or dust really at all and left a great gloss and color to the paint. I topped it with NXT as usual low speed with red pad. But today in bright sunlight I see very slight holograms off to the side of the direct sun reflection. All over the truck, too. Not just one spot. I hadn't noticed in the garage and hadn't seen it due to high clouds yesterday. Only in full sunlight.

I've never seen Wolfgang Finishing Glaze used with a clean, foam finishing pad impart DA Haze, Micro-marring or any type of swirl. It's a Fine Cut to and even Ultra Fine Cut Polish. If it's not the problem mark suggested then you need to trouble shoot further.

A good way to trouble shoot is to use a tape-line on a horizontal panel that is affected by the problem. Buff as normal to just one side and see if the finish looks better or worse. By doing this you can trouble shoot what is and what isn't causing the problem.

The Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is not going to be super effective at removing most swirls, instead if you want a really good Medium Cut Polish, get some Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover. The results this leaves are good enough that many people will think you just waxed your car.

Following with the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and then a wax will just max out the gloss, shine and clarity.

:)

Mike Phillips
05-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Check this out if you haven't already...

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37769-da-polisher-trouble-shooting-guide.html)

Tyler, age 15 removing swirls using a Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1436/medium/1965Plymouth035.jpg

WRAPT C5Z06
05-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Good stuff, Mike!!!!

embolism
05-16-2012, 09:02 AM
You've got wax on there with the polishing oils now so I'd just to a stripping wash or a regular wash then paintwork cleanser to get rid of everything, then put your wax back on.

I followed each polishing step with either pinnacle liquid souvrain or meguiars NXT paste on lowest speed with a red 6.5 CCS pad.

for future reference, you don't need to do this. The next polishing step would just remove the souvran or the NXT so it's a waste of time and product. Just do all your polishing, then either wipedown (I use Griots pre wax cleanser) or wash the car to remove all polishing oils, dry, then do your sealant or wax.

Liquid souvran is also more of a booster for your lsp. I don't think it should be put down first i.e. put on your NXT or a more durable sealant down on the clean paint first, then top afterwards if you want (let sealants cure for recommended times also) with souvran

WRAPT C5Z06
05-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Tyler, age 15 removing swirls using a Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1436/medium/1965Plymouth035.jpg

Kinda looks like Rand! :buffing:

Vossman
05-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Thank you Mike and emb for your help. Embolism, I had that thought too to just strip it all and start over. The video is very helpful. Looks like I have some investigating to do!

And Mike, I think as someone new to polishing with a DA I have tended to try only very mild polishes. The first time I used my DA I had a hard time turning up the speed above four or slow down with my section passes. Maybe it's erring on the side of caution a little too much. But all that said I am still very impressed with the ease of use and gloss from the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and need to plan to use something like Total Swirl Remover first next time.