PDA

View Full Version : what do OC highspots looks like after they have dried?

timaishu
05-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Last night at the atm, I was looking at my car under the lights and I could see these random patches of darker looking spots. They just looked darker.

I had recently applied OC to my hood and figured they might be highspots? When I initially applied it, any oily looking streak I buffed off till it was gone.

I went out to home depot and bought a 2x halogen work light and looked at my hood and I cannot see anything out of the ordinary. Just swirl free paint.

So my question is, under halogens, what would high spots that were allowed to dry look like?

PS: This halogen light is awesome! I looked at my hood and thankfully there are no swirls, just a few patches of deep rids. I looked at my door, which I plan to do next, and I can see swirls in several spots. This thing will be a time saver for sure.

Chris Thomas
05-15-2012, 03:34 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/cthomas1440/Opti%20Coat%20Error/IMG_5325.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/cthomas1440/Opti%20Coat%20Error/IMG_5333.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/cthomas1440/Opti%20Coat%20Error/IMG_5335.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/cthomas1440/Opti%20Coat%20Error/IMG_5330.jpg

timaishu
05-15-2012, 03:35 PM
So they dry as oily patches too? Cool. I'll look for that, thank you.

Chris Thomas
05-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Yes, they look like they'd buff off with a MF but they won't. A quick pass with GPS on a hand applicator (only on the affected areas) will fix them easily. After it fully hardens (30-90 days) it will be significantly harder to remove; that's why we made 2.0 dehydrate slower (more time to repair).

timaishu
05-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Awesome, thank you for the quick reponse Chris.

So I looked over my hood and I do not see any oil patches. Maybe I was just seeing dirt, I dunno. I'll use those pictures as reference though for the rest of my car.

fenderpicks
05-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Will GPS remove/weaken OC?

Chris Thomas
05-15-2012, 04:00 PM
It is abrasive, so yes it will remove OC. The goal with removing an area of over-application it to only remove the excess.

Use only light pressure by hand (no machine will be necessary)
Use a soft foam, microfiber, or finishing pad applicator
Appropriate products to use include: Poli Seal, GPS, or Optimum Finish. You can use other brands of AIO's or finishing polishes, just remember to take the least aggresive approach as usual
Only make a few passes and check your progress
When the area is clear, stop so that you leave the protective layer intact
If you notice the area not beading well after a wash, you can reapply/layer for around 30 days

If it's necessary to remove high spots, you will find that this method is quick and painless...and if you stop when the area clears up you won't even need to reapply.

swanicyouth
05-15-2012, 04:24 PM
In my experience they look like the paint is a shade darker. I'm wondering if the oily look is only on very high patches, and the just dark look on slightly high patches. I have a dark one on the roof of my SUV about the size of a quarter from when I OC'ed it. It is very hard to see and can only be seen in certain lighting or when the surface is clean and wet. Try checking it out on your next 2 bucket wash. Since its very hard to see, maybe just leave it?

timaishu
05-15-2012, 07:44 PM
I was never able to find any patches. So even it is there, Im just gonna leave it. No point in trying to remove something that can only be seen at night under the gas station halogens.

Robert8194
05-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Yes, they look like they'd buff off with a MF but they won't. A quick pass with GPS on a hand applicator (only on the affected areas) will fix them easily. After it fully hardens (30-90 days) it will be significantly harder to remove; that's why we made 2.0 dehydrate slower (more time to repair).

Chris

As usual, that is incredibly useful information. Thanks.

Chris Thomas
05-15-2012, 09:15 PM
In my experience they look like the paint is a shade darker. I'm wondering if the oily look is only on very high patches, and the just dark look on slightly high patches. I have a dark one on the roof of my SUV about the size of a quarter from when I OC'ed it. It is very hard to see and can only be seen in certain lighting or when the surface is clean and wet. Try checking it out on your next 2 bucket wash. Since its very hard to see, maybe just leave it?

It will look different on different paints/colors. It shows up very well on black so that's why I chose it for my example. I know what you mean about just leaving a small one...even though it'd only take me two minutes to fix, I have had a spot on my hood for months. I'm the only one who can even see it apparently.

I was never able to find any patches. So even it is there, Im just gonna leave it. No point in trying to remove something that can only be seen at night under the gas station halogens.

Agreed.

Chris

As usual, that is incredibly useful information. Thanks.

You're quite welcome!