PDA

View Full Version : Are you business owners afraid of what you look like?

Pages : [1] 2

rustytruck
05-15-2012, 01:43 PM
When I'm on this forum I'm always clicking on links to other detailers website's. Many of you have great websites but few of you actually have any info about you or any photos of you(I know a few of you have your pics and bio up) I think people like to see who they will be doing business with. I'm mobile and when I show up at a customer's home I introduce myself they always say"I know I saw your picture on your website" Isn't our website where we really make our first impression? Just thought I would throw this out there as a topic of conversation.

wgilles
05-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Nope, my face is right in my logo!!

richy
05-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Nope, my face is right in my logo!!

I'd only do that to my visually impaired customers. I do good work in spite of how I look, LOL.

SeaJay's
05-15-2012, 06:02 PM
I am one of those people that do not have a picture of myself on my website. I just hate having my pic taken, so most of my pics are actually of me making faces or something.

I have considered taking some decent pics myself and posting though. Nice to be able to put a photo with some info. To kind of know who you would be dealing with.

Maybe this is what I will tackle tomorrow since we are once again getting rain...

Agfan
05-15-2012, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't care if brad Pitt was detailing my car or Whoopie goldberg. As long as the car looks good in the end I would be happy. What people want to see is testimonials and pictures. That's it.

dennis5_0
05-15-2012, 07:12 PM
You know as much as I hate having my picture taken, I might just do it. But the lighting will have to be right and then only my good side,lol. You are right though maybe I will, I will think about it.

DennisIm the MAN

http://www.facebook.com/itsallinthedetailsfton
http://itsallinthedetails.webs.com/

Detailchick
05-15-2012, 08:35 PM
I have thought about putting my picture up but since I'm a Girl I don't know what people will think. I don't really want someone to hire me just for being a girl or not hire me for being one. That's why I just put pictures of before and afters... and I also don't like my picture being taken, but I was thinking of taking a picture of me on a reflection of a door or something.

Gurge
05-15-2012, 11:01 PM
chances are you've visited my site and seen that my face is on there. I don't know enough about marketing or psychology to sort it all out. But I feel it makes a difference.

you're not just selling detailing. in reality they can get that anywhere. you're selling yourself. your skills and your experience. show them a friendly face along with it.

if people care to look, they can learn a lot about me from the site. These people sort of know me before they pick up the phone. as a result it seems the initial discussion over the phone or email is not as awkward as it otherwise might be.

and... at the risk of rubbing someone the wrong way... I feel people with money can be picky and just don't want certain people at their house. Whether you look dirty or shady or whatever. eliminate that question for them.

Shane731
05-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Yes, do use your good side when taking pictures. Wouldn't want to, um, scare anybody away, know what I mean?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Harvey_Dent.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/46496)

:D

Gurge
05-15-2012, 11:11 PM
I am one of those people that do not have a picture of myself on my website. I just hate having my pic taken, so most of my pics are actually of me making faces or something.

I have considered taking some decent pics myself and posting though. Nice to be able to put a photo with some info. To kind of know who you would be dealing with.

Maybe this is what I will tackle tomorrow since we are once again getting rain...

EXACTLY. So they know who they're dealing with. I feel this especially works well with women. Who knows what they're picturing before they decide to contact you. Show them your friendly face which will then match with your friendly tone when you answer the call because it's a potential client.

pictures and testimonials do go a long way but its not everything.

rustytruck
05-16-2012, 06:10 AM
Mr sparkle your sight was one of the ones I really liked when I was putting mine together. It's all about selling yourself especially when people are asking you to come to their home. I think they are looking for someone they feel safe and comfortable with. I think detailers who think "well my work speaks for itself" are ignoring that fact that everyone's work looks great on their website. Who posts bad work on their website? The fact is 80% of the pro detailers out there actually will exceed the customers exceptions. I could drop my truck off at many detail shops, auto body shops, dealers and even a few of those low end Craigslist detailers and go pick a clean shiny car. I really think putting a nice bio and some pictures of you and your truck/van will really separate you from all the other guys(yes those guys can also do nice work) Look at Mr sparkle his is probably the best I have seen. At the very least It should be similar to mine. Remember we all have pictures of our work, and to the customer all they see is really shiny cars in everyone's photo gallery. What makes you different?

bigez
05-16-2012, 08:58 AM
I do think people just want to see who they're dealing with. I know it shouldn't matter, but in some cases, you are coming to their home, maybe even coming inside, etc. They just want to see you don't look like "a hoodlum"..lol. Again, it shouldn't matter, but for some people it sure does and I think looking somewhat professional is important for that reason. Common sense, really.

Gurge
05-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Mr sparkle your sight was one of the ones I really liked when I was putting mine together. It's all about selling yourself especially when people are asking you to come to their home. I think they are looking for someone they feel safe and comfortable with. I think detailers who think "well my work speaks for itself" are ignoring that fact that everyone's work looks great on their website. Who posts bad work on their website? The fact is 80% of the pro detailers out there actually will exceed the customers exceptions. I could drop my truck off at many detail shops, auto body shops, dealers and even a few of those low end Craigslist detailers and go pick a clean shiny car. I really think putting a nice bio and some pictures of you and your truck/van will really separate you from all the other guys(yes those guys can also do nice work) Look at Mr sparkle his is probably the best I have seen. At the very least It should be similar to mine. Remember we all have pictures of our work, and to the customer all they see is really shiny cars in everyone's photo gallery. What makes you different?

Thanks for the kind words. The site has gotten a positive response from friends and clients

great point. no one will post bad work on their website

I say lift the curtain. show the client what the wizard of oz looks like. it has worked for me pretty well thus far.

BookemDano
05-16-2012, 09:57 AM
I like Bryan's website (Mr Sparkle) the best. It hits all of the hot buttons for me personally and professionally.

Why do I say professionally? Although I've been detailing my own cars for the last 8 years, I'm not a professional detailer. OTOH, I spent 14 years in professional sales and marketing, and have designed several websites. Oh, and my name is Dan Clark.

I just introduced myself. Why? To get credibility. To show that I'm a real person and that I may have some some value to add, and not just some pixels scurrying around on your computer monitor. And that is critical...

IMO, it is very important for your website to introduce you - both as a person and as a detailing professional. When I'm shopping for a personal service (like detailing), I'd like to see who I'm dealing with and examples of their work. Mr. Sparkle does that best from several levels, especially from a personal level. His pics show him as a real person (in the first page header) and as a detailer (polishing the fender). OTOH...

There may be reasons NOT to show a pic of yourself. In the Seattle area where I live, your race, gender, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation doesn't matter much. That's the culture and my personal preference. However...

In other places in the US, the culture may be different. As a person, it's your choice to fit in or not. As a marketer of your service, it DOES matter whether you fit. Your preferences have to take a back seat to doing what is smart for your business. So...

- What is your target market?
- What are the characteristics of that market?
- Is your race, gender, ethnicity, etc. a positive or negative FOR THAT MARKET? I.e. do you fit the mold or not?
- What can you do to maximize the positives and minimize the negatives?

Once you answer those questions, you can add or delete pics, choose the correct messages, and design your website to meet that market's needs and expectations.

I have some other comments, but have to run to work now. I hope my comments have been useful.

Regards,

Dan.

bulldog shine
05-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Yes, do use your good side when taking pictures. Wouldn't want to, um, scare anybody away, know what I mean?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Harvey_Dent.jpg (http://http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Harvey_Dent.jpg)

:D

Hey how did you get my pic! Im the MAN