PDA

View Full Version : Simple wheel cleaning turned into multi-day project

andrew b
05-15-2012, 10:34 AM
So this is one of those "lessons learned" posts. At least it came out ok in the end.

Background: My car has OEM lightweight alloy wheels, which are silver with clearcoat over them.

I just recently purchased the equipment I need to safely lift my car for minor/routine maintenance (oil change, etc). Decided that one of the first things I wanted to do was to clean the wheel barrels.

Got the car onto jack stands and safely chocked no problem. Successfully got the front wheels off after researching how to break them free once the lug bolts are removed. So far so good. Took off both wheels, making sure to place them so I could keep track of L/R.

Turned them face-down, and sprayed them with the hose (fronts were already clean). Applied Sonax liberally to both barrels, allowed it to dwell for about 5 minutes, then agitated with a brush and rinsed. That removed probably 75% of the baked-on brake dust.

I noticed that the still-stuck places were softening up, so I repeated this process a couple more times. Finally got them nice and clean.

Turned the wheels over, and was dumbstruck to see the clear in a couple places on both wheels was eaten away. Closer examination showed that the places where this happened were spots where the finish had been restored, probably to fix curb rash (wasn't my restoration). And on one wheel, along about 9" of the edge, the clear had a light pinkish cast to it - I suspect the red sonax dyed the clearcoat.

Too upset to take photos. I tried everything I could think of, using the "least aggressive" principle, i.e. perhaps it will buff out, moving to wetsanding, etc.

Thank goodness I had purchsed 1Z Silver Spray Wheel Paint and Wurth High Gloss Clear Lacquer (http://www.autogeek.net/wurth-1z-combo.html)a while back to fix a minor curb rash spot on a rear wheel. So I sanded the spots down, masked the wheels, and proceeded to paint. The wheel with the pink was easier to completely re-spray than to try and mask to cover the large areas.

After multiple thin coats, I let the wheels sit for a couple hours to dry. Went back outside, and took off the masking materials (by the way - 4x6 index cards inserted around the lip of the rim, inside the tire, work great to mask the whole tire) to check.

Success. The paint is an almost perfect match for the factory original. I re-mounted the wheels (since I needed my car the next day). Yesterday, I pulled the wheels again and did a couple coats of the clear. They look almost perfect.

Whew.

Lessons learned:
- don't let cleaning chemicals sit for too long on surfaces, even if you've used them before with no problems at all (which is the case for me with Sonax - been using it forever, and have never had any problems with it).

- periodically check the unseen areas when cleaning with chemicals

- Be patient if you paint :)

wgilles
05-15-2012, 10:40 AM
At least you were able to fix the error! That's what counts. I'm always nervous about wheel cleaners sitting on my wheels for a period of time. I recently stopped using them on my new car (black painted wheels) and use only car wash soap to clean them now.

andrew b
05-15-2012, 10:49 AM
At least you were able to fix the error! That's what counts. I'm always nervous about wheel cleaners sitting on my wheels for a period of time. I recently stopped using them on my new car (black painted wheels) and use only car wash soap to clean them now.

Indeed. They aren't perfect, but in fact look better since I went ahead and fixed a minor curb rash on one, and the other had some spots where the clear was fading (probably also from a previous fix) as well.

I also took comfort in knowing that, worst case, I could take all four of them somewhere and have them blasted/powdercoated and then I'd have truly new finishes on all four. I had considered that a while back, anyway.

Mazda.Mark
05-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Wow, sorry to hear, but glad they were fixed.

Isn't Sonax ph balanced? I feel like an acidic cleaner would have done this and not Sonax FE. Like you said if the parts mentioned were "fixes" it may have been enough.

I will let non-acidc cleaners sit, but not something like Meg WB more than 1-2 minutes, I get nervous as well, especially since my 08 OEM wheels are showing clearcoat failure.

Thanks for the write up.

Mike Phillips
05-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Background: My car has OEM lightweight alloy wheels, which are silver with clearcoat over them.

Any type of wheel that has a coating is always going to require special attention and care... glad to hear you were able to recover successfully.

When I worked at Meguiar's by friend Tom McDonald had to deal with a lot of problems associated with customers choosing and using the wrong wheel cleaner for their wheels.

To try to avoid as many problems as possible one of the first directions on the label goes like this,

Work on one wheel at a time

That way if something goes wrong at least it's limited to one wheel and hopefully the customer will be smart enough to STOP using the product on the other wheels.

I'll stick to solid, uncoated, non-anodized aluminum wheels. Anyone can work on them to remove oxidation an restore and/or maintain a chrome-like shine. Plus they are strong and lightweight.

:)

bobble
05-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Along with what Mike said, one wheel at a time, never ever let a wheel cleaner dry on a wheel and always always always use any wheel cleaner on a wet wheel. The drying will wreak havoc on painted finish wheels.
I destroyed a set of Fuchs back in the day by spraying and getting sidetracked, pitted them badly, lucky for me the car was being auctioned/wholesaled so it was not too big of a deal for the customer, they still were not very happy and never brought anymore work my way.
Oh and coat those with Opti Coat or Cquartz or similar. Only way to really get to the point of easy cleaning for that brake dusting issue.

Flash Gordon
05-15-2012, 12:57 PM
It is tempting to clean wheels face down. Unfortunately you found out why you shouldn't

Glad it all worked out

andrew b
05-15-2012, 02:28 PM
It is tempting to clean wheels face down. Unfortunately you found out why you shouldn't

Glad it all worked out

Yep, that's true too.

I think I'd have been ok if I had turned them over and sprayed everything off in between dwellings/treatments.

Think what I might do next time is spray the Sonax on with them upside down, and then turn them over so it runs to the back of the wheel as it drips.