PDA

View Full Version : Will Irox X harm the brake caliper?

Mc'lovin
05-15-2012, 02:53 AM
Hi all,

On the Iron X page it says it should not be applied on the brake calipers, however I think that no matter how hard I try, there's no way to completely avoid spraying it on them.

Will it harm the brakes?
Does anyone have a tip on how to safely spray Iron X on wheels so it won't harm anything else?

Thanks!

snellvilleauto
05-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Yes it WILL discolor the caliper if you're not careful. Make sure you agitated (clean out) your caliper and rinse it really really well. I screwed up my wife's subaru caliper by not rinse it well. So be careful and you should be ok

Mc'lovin
05-15-2012, 05:33 AM
Yes it WILL discolor the caliper if you're not careful. Make sure you agitated (clean out) your caliper and rinse it really really well. I screwed up my wife's subaru caliper by not rinse it well. So be careful and you should be ok

Other than a cosmetic damage, can it do actual harm to the caliper's function?
That is quite a draw back of this product - I imagine most detailers will have a tough time spraying the wheel without having the caliper touched... I think I'll stick with Iron X for paint cleansing use only.

tuscarora dave
05-15-2012, 05:49 AM
You can always pull the wheel and do it separate from the car. I know that would be a pain with the extra time involved but it beats spending the money replacing a customer's etched caliper.

CEE DOG
05-15-2012, 07:10 AM
There's a great Q&A Avi created and I posted it at the end of this review http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/42651-review-carpro-iron-x.html

To answer the question it does not harm the function of the calipers. Avi says the only problem is on some lower quality acrylic caliper paints.

You can always test a small spot but when in doubt you could always wrap an old towel or garbage bag around the caliper area.

It will turn the wheel weights green because they are lead but agitation and thorough rinsing turns it back to the right color.

Its safe on chrome. Just do not let it dry in the sun. The important thing is to very thoroughly rinse the wheels so no iron X that got behind a surface is left.

ForceField
05-15-2012, 07:13 AM
I thought I saw a you tube video of someone using IronX on the car's paint. It was a newer car so I'm sure it was a clearcoated paint. It IS safe on clearcoated paints right? Just want to make sure of that before I use it myself.

SeaJay's
05-15-2012, 07:52 AM
I thought I saw a you tube video of someone using IronX on the car's paint. It was a newer car so I'm sure it was a clearcoated paint. It IS safe on clearcoated paints right? Just want to make sure of that before I use it myself.

Yes, Iron-X was designed to be used on clear coated paints but has been used on rims for brake dust too. I use it as my wheel cleaner for most wheels. I just ensure that the rims/brakes are cool to the touch, and I ensure I rinse very well.

It's a fairly safe product just have to ensure that it's rinsed well or it lingers behind trim pieces, inside of rims, etc.

flamed03vert
05-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Iron X though an outstanding product will harm Zinc plating on some after market brake rotors. I took plating clean off my rotors. They were not Ebay specials either but rather SSBC.