PDA

View Full Version : Question on masking tape

Spiney
05-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Our local Ollie's a close out store has multipacks of 3M Blue Painters tape. I forget the quantity but it's like 9 rolls of 1/2" for $14. Is this Ok to use for use on cars or should I stick to the green automotive tape? I'd be using for masking off trim and as a newbie masking off test areas. Thanks, Spiney-Dave

pho_shizzle
05-15-2012, 12:39 AM
That fine, its what I use all the time and is more cost effective than the green tape. The green tape is just a lot more workable around bends and curves.

tuscarora dave
05-15-2012, 05:39 AM
I prefer the 3M blue painters tape over the green. I have purchased closeouts on the blue tape in the past and find that on a hit or miss basis that sometimes the older stock seems to tear easily when trying to pull off longer lengths of the tape. It can be quite annoying when you're trying for a 32 inch section of tape and the tape rips every 6 inches.

You'll be saving money per roll on the tape but if you get these bad rolls of old stock you'll be losing lots of time with it tearing when you don't want it to. I'm not saying that it will be like that, just saying don't be surprised if it is. Stuff usually ends up at Ollie's for a reason.

oldmodman
05-15-2012, 12:34 PM
For you other people west of the Mississippi River, Ollies is another 99 cent store/Big Lots type of deal.

The closest one to Los Angeles, Ca is in Kentucky.