PDA

View Full Version : The more I use a traditional DA, the more I'm amazed...

Pages : [1] 2

WRAPT C5Z06
05-14-2012, 10:20 PM
at how things have evolved. I use my G110v2 90% of the time. With all the new SMAT technology AND the MF pad evolution, my G110v2 keeps me content! I prefer a non-forced rotation DA, they're just SO much easier to control! The only pads I've used lately are the Meg's MF cutting discs, Tangerine and Crimson 5.5" x 7/8" hyrdrotech low profile pads, and the soon to be Hydrotech 3" x 7/8" pads(currently the 3" x 1 1/4" HT's). These 3 pads cover a very broad range of polishing. With these small and narrow pads(especially MF pads), correction with a traditional DA is A LOTTTT better than in the past. I'd say the only upgrade would be a rotary. Bold statement, huh? JMO. :)

Jomax
05-14-2012, 10:39 PM
I agree. I'm using yellow B&S pads with Meguiars #67 marine compound with my GG6 fighting oxidation on my 11 year old toy hauler. One side is complete. It looks like new!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Bunky
05-15-2012, 06:53 PM
at how things have evolved. I use my G110v2 90% of the time.

I thought you had just rediscovered your Flex.

rider9195
05-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Seeing that my only machine is my Porter Cable I guess I am pleased with it. After trying the new OPT MF pads I am in love. These things rock.

Kaban
05-15-2012, 07:01 PM
you dont use the 3401 anymore?

Vegas Transplant
05-15-2012, 07:04 PM
... I'd say the only upgrade would be a rotary. Bold statement, huh? JMO. :)

Just for kicks, try a 6.25 OPT mf polishing pad (instead of a cutting pad ) on a rotary utilizing either of the Hyper Twins.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-15-2012, 07:21 PM
I thought you had just rediscovered your Flex.
I thought there was a glimmer of hope with the Optimum MF pads and the 3401, but it never panned out. Some claim the 3401 is smoother than a traditional DA? Not on God's green earth, IMO. It's will try to steer you like a freight train. I don't really use it anymore.

PAR Detailing
05-15-2012, 08:27 PM
I agree Mark. I rarely use any other tool other than my traditional DA. I only pull out the rotary for nostalgia sake and only one car recently was the flex and easier machine to use. The microfiber system really changed everything for me. I don't even use a v2 g110, I use the v1 and it kicks butt. Give me a full support backing plate and a microfiber disk with soAndy101 and I don't believe there is anything a rotary can remove better than that combination.

Kaiser37
05-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Just curious on you pads, what do you choose for you AIO or one stage compounds?

Hoytman
05-15-2012, 08:48 PM
I agree. I'm using yellow B&S pads with Meguiars #67 marine compound with my GG6 fighting oxidation on my 11 year old toy hauler. One side is complete. It looks like new!!!

Just finished the outside of a 25 ft. Baha Cruiser 240 Fisherman with Meguiar's #67 One-step Compound and it did a fabulous job in combination with a W4000 wool pad and a rotary. I didn't get any picutures because I was pushed for time, but I'll take some when I start on the top-side of the boat.

The #67 dusts a little bit, but it was no worse than the fuzz I had all over me from the wool pad. That stuff got everywhere...mostly stuck to my shirt and hand and the scrubby beard of mine.

Topped it with 2 coats of opti-seal, and a thin coat of Collinite 845, so the hull should be good to go for awhile.

Our boat is a '96 model and we had a fella stop to inquire about it since he had the exact boat, only his was "older" than ours...until we told him what year it was. His jaw hit the ground when he found out his boat was 4 years newer (2000 model). He said, " it looks newer than mine." Of couse, I was patting myself on the back pretty hard at that point...he he he.

Hey Mark, I love my Harbor Freight rotary (orange Chicago) and my G110V2. (I wish I'd have known you were going to sell your Flex rotary though.) Don't get rid of that 3401 without talkin' to me.

Still prayin'...

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-15-2012, 09:02 PM
I have been kicking around the idea of buying the Flex but I really love my G110v2. The mf disc, compound, and machine is a serious combination and is so user friendly. I could pick up the Griots kit (6 inch and 3 inch combo from AG) get two nice machines and still save money rather than buying the Flex. Now if Flex would do a traditional D/A like the rest.....

Chris Thomas
05-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Our pads get pretty grippy when they load up with product. Switching to a clean one every other panel helps a lot. I'm loving the low-pro-hydro pads too, though.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Our pads get pretty grippy when they load up with product. Switching to a clean one every other panel helps a lot. I'm loving the low-pro-hydro pads too, though.
My previous comment was not a knock on optimum MF pads. They actually work better on the Flex 3401 than the Meg's pads, but I just don't feel any MF pad is used to its full potential on the 3401. On a traditional DA, I feel both Meg's and Optimum pads work great!

feds27
05-15-2012, 10:16 PM
I feel like I get alot more correction and quicker with the FLEX than a DA. It's also much smoother on my hands. It's too bad you couldn't get used to it.

Jomax
05-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Just finished the outside of a 25 ft. Baha Cruiser 240 Fisherman with Meguiar's #67 One-step Compound and it did a fabulous job in combination with a W4000 wool pad and a rotary. I didn't get any picutures because I was pushed for time, but I'll take some when I start on the top-side of the boat.

The #67 dusts a little bit, but it was no worse than the fuzz I had all over me from the wool pad. That stuff got everywhere...mostly stuck to my shirt and hand and the scrubby beard of mine.

Topped it with 2 coats of opti-seal, and a thin coat of Collinite 845, so the hull should be good to go for awhile.

Our boat is a '96 model and we had a fella stop to inquire about it since he had the exact boat, only his was "older" than ours...until we told him what year it was. His jaw hit the ground when he found out his boat was 4 years newer (2000 model). He said, " it looks newer than mine." Of couse, I was patting myself on the back pretty hard at that point...he he he.

Hey Mark, I love my Harbor Freight rotary (orange Chicago) and my G110V2. (I wish I'd have known you were going to sell your Flex rotary though.) Don't get rid of that 3401 without talkin' to me.

Still prayin'...

Glad i wasn't doing something wrong with it dusting. It dusts quite a bit but, I'm working in 100 degree weather and sure that doesn't help, plus I'm in partial sunlight. Gotta love AZ.. Being its my first time using a machine (and it's frikin hot) I could probably correct it better. But it's still 100x better then before so I'm happy. In topping it with Fk1000p to see how that holds to our extreme heat.