PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning ss nerf bars

aklsufan
03-22-2007, 08:27 PM
I have a set of stainless steel nerf bars that have some yellowing occuring around the black plastic steps. I noticed the color changing before this winter so I waxed them by hand but could not get the color off. I need some suggestions on techniques and possible some type of product to use. I just received my pc but waiting for the temps to get above freezing.

ScottB
03-23-2007, 04:23 PM
you need to find out if coated or uncoated, and aluminum versus chrome. Each have different needs and outcome. You can test in a small spot ..

Aluminum -- it will produce a black tarnish when polished. You can use P21S Polishing Soap to clean and then a polish like Mothers Powerpolish for aluminum.

Chrome -- you will need to use a chrome polish. You will see some tarnish, but not a black mess. Mothers makes a nice chrome polish, and consider a Powerball as wanted for speed in buffing.

Coated --- this means the bar was clearcoated. You cannot use metal polish or chrome polish on it. You must treat it like paint. Use a paint polish or paint cleaner (Pinnacle, P21S) and then abrade (polish) and protect and necessary.