PDA

View Full Version : Bay Washing ?'s

flektone
05-13-2012, 07:19 PM
I live in an apartment so I either have to run it through the car wash or try the bay washing. Whats your guys plan of attack for bay washing? I once used the supplied brush and it left scratches on my car. I was thinking of bringing my own buck, soap, pad, and handing washing it. Then just rincing off with the power washer. What are your methods?

shoeless89
05-13-2012, 07:26 PM
If you have to bay wash I would get 2 buckets with lids to bring some of your own water like these Grit Guard® Dual Bucket Washing System - BLACK (http://www.autogeek.net/grit-guard-wash-system3.html) and bring your own wash media and solution. I guess the only thing I would use a wash bay would be the power washer. Their car shampoo will possibly strip any wax and be less then par in providing enough viscosity.

flektone
05-13-2012, 07:31 PM
If you have to bay wash I would get 2 buckets with lids to bring some of your own water like these Grit Guard® Dual Bucket Washing System - BLACK (http://www.autogeek.net/grit-guard-wash-system3.html) and bring your own wash media and solution. I guess the only thing I would use a wash bay would be the power washer. Their car shampoo will possibly strip any wax and be less then par in providing enough viscosity.

You think it would strip the wax anymore then running it through the actual car wash? I was thinking spraying a layer of thier soap on the car. Then going over it with my soap in the bucket.

hondajake
05-13-2012, 07:32 PM
I had this issue once -

I would go either at night or early AM when no one was around and brought my own bucket, soap, and sponge, etc. There are usually signs no bucket washing allowed, but I assumed it would only be an issue if there was a line or the wash was busy.

I never used the brush at the car wash.

wysiwyg
05-13-2012, 08:16 PM
How about using ONR and UWWP?

ONR and UWWP are my go to products when water restrictions are in effect in my area.

I use a home depot 1 gallon sprayer filled with an ONR solution to presoak each panel. Then I use a bucket with 2 gallons of ONR mix to wash my vehicle. I use UWWP to maintain between ONR washes.

I would think you could use the method in an apartment complex.

AirVenture
05-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Do you have a shaded place to do work at your apartment? I have a parking garage. What I do is pick up two 2.5 gal jugs of water at the grocery store and then do an ONR wash. I still go to a self-serve car wash if I want to do the wheels. I just make sure that I'm only using the RINSE option. This includes letting the sprayer run for several seconds to make sure whatever junk the last user was using has a chance to exit the plumbing.

bl3ujay07
05-13-2012, 10:42 PM
I had this issue once -

I would go either at night or early AM when no one was around and brought my own bucket, soap, and sponge, etc. There are usually signs no bucket washing allowed, but I assumed it would only be an issue if there was a line or the wash was busy.

I never used the brush at the car wash.

I second this....after onr. Before i found out about onr, i would bring my own supplies to the wash bays and wash my car there (sucks in the midwest winters, but the car has to be washed once a week). I did however call them and asked if i could. Person said as long as there is no line or someone waiting behind me, he doesnt care. Maybe bc he drives a well cared for red vw and knows where i was coming from.

ShinyRex
05-13-2012, 10:46 PM
I live in an apartment so I either have to run it through the car wash or try the bay washing. Whats your guys plan of attack for bay washing? I once used the supplied brush and it left scratches on my car. I was thinking of bringing my own buck, soap, pad, and handing washing it. Then just rincing off with the power washer. What are your methods?

I'm in the same boat as you. If the car is too dirty for a waterles wash I take my buckets, water, towles etc and go to the self service wash bay. I just use the final rinse option for the water and everything else I bring.

I do my wheels at home so they are cool to the touch when I work on them. I use a hand pump pressure sprayer with a foam tip and Megs APC then another sprayer with water to rinse. I also put down the blue shop towels so I can catch all the run off.

Going to the wash bay early is a good idea, If I don't as soon as I start drying my car some one will inevitably pull into the bay I just used and the mist will carry over to the drying area making the whole effort counter productive.

Frenchie
05-13-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. If the car is too dirty for a waterles wash I take my buckets, water, towles etc and go to the self service wash bay. I just use the final rinse option for the water and everything else I bring.

I do my wheels at home so they are cool to the touch when I work on them. I use a hand pump pressure sprayer with a foam tip and Megs APC then another sprayer with water to rinse. I also put down the blue shop towels so I can catch all the run off.

Going to the wash bay early is a good idea, If I don't as soon as I start drying my car some one will inevitably pull into the bay I just used and the mist will carry over to the drying area making the whole effort counter productive.

it must really suck living in LA and having to worry about all that....My fiance is from Orange County and has only lived down south for 4 years. Both her, and her family still to have a hard time understanding how everyone uses gas lawn equipment, runs water just to hear it run, heck, she still gets creeped out when we go camping and we get to the camp area and there arent "fire rings". I'm like babe, we just stick soome rocks or sand around it or dig a trench and it's fine. She's like OMG what if the fire gets big and spreads. My response is babe, watch this as I take a burning log and kick it out of the fire onto the grass....look it's always too wet here for fire. Nothing will burn. Heck farmers have a hard time burning off crop and they use chemicals! lol

ShinyRex
05-14-2012, 02:02 AM
La is a pain, thankfully I only have to wait until Aug then I should finally have a garage of my own.