PDA

View Full Version : A dog jumped up on my door

OGL
05-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Hey all!

2012 Sage Green Subaru Forester

Yesterday as I was pulling into a friend's farm an unruly pack of dogs rushed out to give me their exuberant greeting. At least one of them jumped on the door before I could fend them off.

It doesn't look too bad. I can't feel any scratches. It almost looks like a quick rub with my finger reduces the scratch. But obviously I want to do it right.

I'm still learning my way around the different products so my question is this: I happen to already have a bottle of Meg's Ultimate Polish. Would this be the appropriate choice?

The entire car has been carefully washed, clayed and has 1 coat of BFWD Sealant. The sealant is about 2 months old. The car lives outside.

Thanks!

Mc'lovin
05-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Video: How to remove shallow RIDS and how to machine apply both a paint sealant and a finishing wax (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/48365-video-how-remove-shallow-rids-how-machine-apply-both-paint-sealant-finishing-wax.html)

Hi,

I'm sort of new to detailing so I can't really give you much of a reliable advice, but check out this video by Mike Philips on how to remove shallow RIDS, etc. Very informative and helpful!

Also, I think you would receive the best help by the esteemed forum members if you upload photos of these scratches... That will make it easier for them to give an opinion about the right products you should use..

Good luck!!

brlukosk
05-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Id try some very light polish by hand over the affected area.

opie_7afe
05-13-2012, 12:10 PM
when clearcoat gets scratched it leaves a white mark behind, so usually a light polish applied by hand will do the job, megs ultimate polish should work just fine for you, just re apply protection afterward.

OGL
05-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the responses! I barely had enough time this morning to post the question much less take a pic. Moms and Grandma's were TOP priority today!

But I had a few minutes while the baby is sleeping so I went ahead and worked it with the Ultimate Polish.

It took a few passes working with various degrees of pressure and amounts of product for me to get the feel. But I think it's gonna be ok. I can tell that there was a scratch, but I don't think I'll obsess on it.

I think when I get more comfortable (and the car is a bit less fresh) I'll go after it with more guts.

edit: I covered the area with the BFWD for good measure.