PDA

View Full Version : Holograms in the wax

okleyguy
05-13-2012, 10:10 AM
You may remember some of my previous posts about my black C6 Corvette. I had it out again yesterday and in the sun up close and moving around the car I still feel I can see holograms in the paint. I am starting to wonder if this is in the wax I can see them. I used Megs sealer and Pinnacle signature series 2 wax. Perhaps I am just crazy any feed back would be appreciated.Feed back please

QuantumX
05-13-2012, 10:16 AM
You could very well be right. I've always had trouble with holograms in the Collinite 476. No matter how careful i try to be doing the final buff, there always seems to be enough residue left to produce holograms. Perhaps this is just the state of paste waxes etc. It can be very discouraging.

rider9195
05-13-2012, 10:26 AM
It is possible you applied too much product. Try using a detail spray with a MF towel to remove the remaining residue.

wukin
05-13-2012, 11:16 AM
IME, these holograms are oil. Spray quick detailer only makes it worse. The only solution to me is re-polish the certain area because the oil already bond to te paint.

Paul Mitchell
05-13-2012, 11:47 AM
I once had a black 2007 Toyota Avalon that apparently had been polished with a rotary at the dealership and had really bad holograms. This was before I got into detailing on a higher level. I didn't know you could polish them out so I was only concerned with covering them up and the best product I found OTC was Mothers #2 Sealer and Glaze. I'd cover that with Mothers Carnauba Wax and that worked very well. The holograms were still there but I couldn't see them so I was happy. Never buy a new black car on a cloudy day.

opie_7afe
05-13-2012, 12:00 PM
a hologram look can come from being streaky, but with what you used i highly doubt it, im betting the holograms are in the paint. could always do a quick IPA wipe to see for sure if its true holograms or streaking, even though you should be able to tell a difference between streaking and holograms....im leaning towards the paint needs to be polished.

shoeless89
05-13-2012, 07:48 PM
I bet that it's not paint defects but is just holograms in the wax. I get this all the time with paste waxes especially with high humidity. I usually do an initial wipe with a flat weave MF then do a second wipe with a more plush MF. This has worked every time I've done it. The only time I get the hologram effect now is when I don't do the second wipe. But like Matt said, try to strip the paint in an area with something like IPA to see of they are indeed in the paint of just the wax.

BuckeyeR/T
05-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Isn't that called streaking? I get that if I apply too much #915

opie_7afe
05-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Isn't that called streaking? I get that if I apply too much #915
yes, it would be called streaking. need too apply collinite waxes thin as possible, place pad against a clean window to see if you still have product, if you do keep going dont add more...

okleyguy
05-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Okay took the mothers show time spray Detailer to it in the direct sun light so I could keep checking my work I believe it was in the wax now what wax should I use or was I doing something wrong with the pinnacle 2 that I put on with a flex 3401 and a lake county red pad on setting 1.