PDA

View Full Version : Little help :)

Yoshi94
05-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Want to make sure I am going to be doing this right.

Last year sometime I used the pinnacle XMT swirl remover kit and topped it with 845. Worked awesome!

Over winter I had my car worked on and by the top of my fenders and there are very light scuffs in the paint here and there that I can notice but you cant from a distance. Probably from him not using any fender covers. I want to go back over that area with XMT swirl remover number 1.

I have never clay bar the car yet. So here is what I am wanting to do

Wash (with dawn)
Clay
Wash
Swirl Remover 1
Pinnacle Advanced Polish
Liquid Souveran

Does this sound right to do? And over time just keep topping it off every 2 months with the souveran (car hybernates during the winter)

Should I wash with Dawn first? Or just any car wash soap that I prefer

mjlinane
05-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Based on Todd's polish chart, XMT #1 is actually less aggressive than Pinnacle AFP so you would apply in the reverse order. Note - both are very fine and will not have a lot of correcting power. I would probably just use the Pinnacle AFP.

The idea behind a Dawn wash is to remove any LSP from the paint and that is in general a good practice before polishing. Whether Dawn can strip 845, IDK. You might need something a bit stronger like 1Z W99 or OPC.

Yoshi94
05-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Well the last time I think I applied 845 was probably August, so I think it would be off by now.

Yoshi94
05-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Any more opinions?

Infinitiman
05-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Any more opinions?

Unless I'm mistaken claying should remove any wax that is on there, as for the dawn DISH soap I know many will disagree, but I prefer to keep that with the dishes and the car shampoo with the cars. I know several people that have used that and now have heavy oxidation. With your car being waxed that may not be the case but I would go the least aggressive path if possible.

Mike Phillips
05-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Based on Todd's polish chart, XMT #1 is actually less aggressive than Pinnacle AFP so you would apply in the reverse order. Note - both are very fine and will not have a lot of correcting power. I would probably just use the Pinnacle AFP.

I agree, both are fine cut and even ultra fine cut polishes. Try the Advanced Finishing Polish with a polishing pad first. Do a Test Spot.

How To Do a Test Spot (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html)

:xyxthumbs: