PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - 2012 Corvette Detail and Prep For Clear Bra

Pages : [1] 2

Biff Webster
05-12-2012, 06:55 PM
I just bought a 2012 Corvette Grand Sport Centennial Edition coupe and need some advice about the carbon flash metallic paint and the interior?

First off, I need to prep it for clear bra install as well as detail the rest of the car, but I have some questions.

1. After washing and claying, I was planning on jewelling the paint. I have a PC that I will use, but what pad and polish should I use?

2. Can I or should I clay the factory matte black stripes?

3. The parts that are not being covered with the clear bra, I will be using Zaino Z2 and Z5. Should I use it on the stripes as well?

4. Would I benefit from topping with a carnauba?

5. I assume the wheels are clear coated, but not sure. What would be a good and safe cleaner to use?

6. How do I take care of the suede parts of the interior?

7. Can I use the 303 high tech fabric guard on the carpets? What's the best way to apply?

8. Are cans of compressed air safe to dust the dash without the occasional freezing liquid damaging anything?

Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make sure I do everything the right way.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

Bill1234
05-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Kyle, I dont understand why you dont use Ibiz, It is the official wax of the corvette club of america, I have used in on other vehicles and it works great

Biff Webster
05-12-2012, 10:51 PM
I've never heard of it. Are you saying use it on top of Zaino?

Infinitiman
05-13-2012, 10:01 AM
I just bought a 2012 Corvette Grand Sport Centennial Edition coupe and need some advice about the carbon flash metallic paint and the interior?

First off, I need to prep it for clear bra install as well as detail the rest of the car, but I have some questions.

1. After washing and claying, I was planning on jewelling the paint. I have a PC that I will use, but what pad and polish should I use?

3. The parts that are not being covered with the clear bra, I will be using Zaino Z2 and Z5. Should I use it on the stripes as well?

5. I assume the wheels are clear coated, but not sure. What would be a good and safe cleaner to use?

7. Can I use the 303 high tech fabric guard on the carpets? What's the best way to apply?

8. Are cans of compressed air safe to dust the dash without the occasional freezing liquid damaging anything?

Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make sure I do everything the right way.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

I will not be able to answer everything, but here is what I can
#5. I would try your ph neutral car shampoo first if that is not strong enough I would try P21s gel wheel cleaner or Sonax full effect wheel cleaner both are very good and ph neutral as well.

#6. There is a product from Swissvax that is for suede/ alacantara( imitation suede) you will need to blot clean it as suede is very delicate .

#7. Yes you can use it on carpet, just spray evenly about 6-8" away from surface, but a word of caution: cover all surfaces near the carpet to protect them from overspray, after treating park the car in the shade with the windows down to let the car dry without trapping the smell inside the car, plus it cuts down on the drying time.

Hope this help,good luck

spardavr4
05-13-2012, 10:13 AM
I use compressed air cans extensively (I build my own computers and use them to dust every month)

Trick is to never shake and only spray right side up with short bursts of air. Should eliminate any of the liquid from being expelled.

Boozman
05-13-2012, 12:32 PM
I use what they use for delivery a the Corvette museum which is Cmagic great product and easy to use.

Biff Webster
05-13-2012, 09:10 PM
I have red and black/gray ccs pads. Which one would be best for jewelling?

arack
05-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Kyle, I dont understand why you dont use Ibiz, It is the official wax of the corvette club of america, I have used in on other vehicles and it works great

Dude, are you being paid by ibiz? Every post of yours mentions this as some miracle product. If it is so good, why does AG not carry it?:bash::bash::bash:

Flash Gordon
05-13-2012, 10:03 PM

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

1) Speed 4 Black pad Menzerna 85rd

2) I wouldn't unless they really need it. Use a mild claybar if so (fresh bar)

3) I've never used either of those, but generaly it is best to leave matte paint alone if you can help it

4) Wouldn't hurt

5) Soap and water is the safest thing to use. Make sure the wheels are cool to the touch before cleaning

6) Wipe it down with a damp rag occasionally and don't let anyone ride in it with those dark colored blue jeans

7) Yes! Vacume then spray liberaly

8) I wouldn't chance it. I doubt your car will be getting that dirty anyway

Hope some of this was useful

Biff Webster
05-13-2012, 11:43 PM

3) I've never used either of those, but generaly it is best to leave matte paint alone if you can help it

4) Wouldn't hurt

5) Soap and water is the safest thing to use. Make sure the wheels are cool to the touch before cleaning

6) Wipe it down with a damp rag occasionally and don't let anyone ride in it with those dark colored blue jeans

The stripes aren't paint, they are matte vinyl. I'm just afraid of them not being protected.

Flash Gordon
05-14-2012, 07:18 AM
The stripes aren't paint, they are matte vinyl. I'm just afraid of them not being protected.

If they are vinyl you should be okay to use a cleaner type wax or sealant. Stay away from carnubba

Do one side at a time in case you ruin something

Mike Phillips
05-14-2012, 08:06 AM

Avoid getting anything on the vinyl stripes that dries white like compound or polish residue, also avoid any traditional style wax or paint sealant.

I've had good luck with Optimum Opti-Clean and leaves behind some protection. I'm thinking you could also use Optimum Car Wax which is a clear, spray on wax with patented UV protection.

Read page 2 of this thread,

Beginning Clearcoat Failure (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/29197-beginning-clearcoat-failure.html)

Note the chemist that makes Optimum products also worked on creating the resin technology for modern clear coat paints.

Optimum Polymer Technologies

Optimum Polymer Technologies Commercial - YouTube

:)

Biff Webster
05-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Avoid getting anything on the vinyl stripes that dries white like compound or polish residue, also avoid any traditional style wax or paint sealant.

I've had good luck with Optimum Opti-Clean and leaves behind some protection. I'm thinking you could also use Optimum Car Wax which is a clear, spray on wax with patented UV protection.

Read page 2 of this thread,

Beginning Clearcoat Failure (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/29197-beginning-clearcoat-failure.html)

Note the chemist that makes Optimum products also worked on creating the resin technology for modern clear coat paints.

Optimum Polymer Technologies
Optimum Polymer Technologies Commercial - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV3oX9omRSc&hd=1)

So Zaino should be ok to use on the stripes? It dries clear in my experience.

Biff Webster
05-14-2012, 08:53 AM

4) Wouldn't hurt

Are there any products that are comparable to Menzerna 85rd?

FUNX650
05-14-2012, 10:39 AM

-There may be some washing/claying 'marring' intrduced. Hopefully jeweling will remove said marring. Try 3M Ultrafina or Menz. 4500, on a black pad, PC-speed 4-5, 'slow' arm-speed.

-Question: Doesn't "Z" carry a swirl-remover polish?

-*Also...Do not use any car wash shampoo that is: Wash-N-Wax
or Wash-w/Gloss Enhancers...They'll screw with the "matte" vinyl-stripes

-NO!!

-If you wish to maintain the stripe's "flat matte appearance"...NO!!

-Some folks carnuba-wax over "Z", some don't...Personal preference prevails.

-P21S or S100 Wheel Cleaners, if your car wash shampoo does not prevail.

-**(AGAIN: do not use any 'Wash-N-Wax' or 'Wash-w/Gloss Enhancers'!!)

-***Alcantara (http://int.alcantara.com/#/en/menu/the_material/maintenance/ordinary_maintenance)

-Yes>>>Follow the manufacturer's directions.

-I wouldn't take the chance on getting the HUD, or other sensitive electronics, damaged by the: "occasional freezing liquid"...A soft dedicated dash MF towel; or something like the Cal. Dash-Duster...Should suffice.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

RE: Vinyl Matte Stripes

1.) Contact these folks...XPEL Technologies Corp...They manufacture this:
Matte Paint Protection Film - XPEL Stealth Protection Film

618 W. Sunset Road
San Antonio, Texas 78216 U.S.A
Toll Free: (800) 447-9928
International: (210) 678-3700

2.) Digital Imaging Group (DIG)
513 Liberty Rd. Suite 4B Flowood, MS 39232
Phone: 601-939-2008
Toll Free: 866-939-2008

3.) Find a distributor/re-seller for: Swissvax matte-paint care products...(I like their "matte detail spray").

4.) Chemical Guys is supposed to now carry the proper matte-care products.

5.) Contact a local "Corvette-Painter" (HEE,HEE) . Have 'em give an estimate on:
a. Removing the vinyl-decals...Actually, and properly painting matte-stripes, and, with a matte CC.
b. Spray something like PPG's pre-flattened clearcoat (code: DCU 2060)
c. I'm sure a good paint/body shop will know what to do...Including adding in the 'Corvette-Tax'.

-(Hope this helps some.)

BTW:

-Congratulations on your having this new Corvette!!

-BUT...It appears the auto manufacturers/design-group engineers keep coming up with "new materials", which are very appealing, without thinking ahead on the care and care-products that may be necessary.

-Good Luck!! in your pursuit of the products that will work for you.

Bob