PDA

View Full Version : Remove Wax from molding and rubber?

Pages : [1] 2

vgs2006
05-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Few months ago, I used a cheap wax product and got wax on my molding and rubber around that car. And cannot remove it now :) Yes, I was in a hurry to get it done and did not take the time to clean immediately.

What's a good product to remove the white wax from molding?

Thanks

nick1897
05-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Have you tried a dressing type product? I've used Meguiars Hyper-Dressing for problems like this. On the other hand, the product should be dry and should come off pretty easy.

ScottB
05-14-2006, 01:39 PM
peanut butter, Wd-40, Mothers Back to Black, and Black Again all work well. Someone recently posted the oils in high end non-staining carnuabas (Pinnacle, P21S) seem to also work. (never tried)

vgs2006
05-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I went down the Auto Store and brought the Mother Back to Black and it worked. I got similary dressing solution at Volvo dealer, but did not work.

Thanks guys.

joe.p
05-14-2006, 07:00 PM
peanut butter, Wd-40, Mothers Back to Black, and Black Again all work well. Someone recently posted the oils in high end non-staining carnuabas (Pinnacle, P21S) seem to also work. (never tried)
Pinnacle souveran worked for me. this may be to expensive for
what your looking to do. killerwheels offered some good information.give it a try and lets us know.

killerwheels would the CK VM work to remove old wax on trim?

ScottB
05-14-2006, 07:09 PM
killerwheels would the CK VM work to remove old wax on trim?

I truly dont know .... good question.

BILL
05-15-2006, 07:48 AM
peanut butter??????:p

BADZZHUMMER
05-15-2006, 11:29 AM
MY BUDDY TOLD ME PEANUT OIL WORKS BETTER THAN ANYTHING HE EVER TRIED must be somethin in peanuts

Meghan
05-15-2006, 12:19 PM
http://www.autogeek.net/wax-remover.html

JeffW
05-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Thus far I have tried AIO, the Wax Blaster and Mothers Back to Black - AIO and Wax Blaster did not remove the wax, and Mothers BtB only covered it up for awhile (couple weeks?). My hope is to remove the wax, not just cover it up...

Each of the door handles on my wife's Liberty are pretty badly stained (I must have been real sloppy in my early days of detailing, ugh). Anyway, I've been trying to figure out what my next steps are, and have picked up a couple extra ideas from this thread.

Tonight I will try each of the following on a separate door handle to see how they work.

- Peanut Butter (Creamy, not Chunky :) )
- Isopropyl Alcohol (diluted w/ H2O)
- MF detergent (diluted w/ H2O)
- Dawn (diluted w/ H2O)

Theoretically any chemical that is used to wash or clean sealants and waxes from finishes, mitts or applications should work, right? I won't be trying these until tonight sometime, so if you think any of these might be more damaging to the trim, please warn me and I'll check for new postings prior to commencing.

Meghan
05-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Would Chunky Peanut Butter be considered abrasive?! :p

joe.p
05-15-2006, 03:35 PM
MY BUDDY TOLD ME PEANUT OIL WORKS BETTER THAN ANYTHING HE EVER TRIED must be somethin in peanuts
Not the peanuts.The oils in the peanuts. Nothing would work for me but souveran. I have to say i didn't try peanut butter..

FloridaNative
05-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Man! All this talk about peanut butter removing wax is strangely remenicient to me of that old Saturday Night Live skit about the floor wax that was also a dessert topping. Is anybody else getting dejavu here? I don't even want to think about what my neighbors would say behind my back if they saw me out putting some Jiff on my door handles. Thank God mine aren't stained. They already think I'm off my rocker as it is! I guess I could just say, "choosy mom's choose Jiff" :D

BILL
05-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Is souveran the only wax that you dont have to worry about removng from rubber, plastic?? i go over everythinbg with sovueran with out any residue, what kind of wax/sealer is being used to call out the removal troops:confused: including off my rocker peanut butter:awesome:

ScottB
05-15-2006, 04:39 PM
I believe P21S is also non-staining. Crystal Mist also , but is a spray wax type product.