PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for my next detail - Need your advice

Mc'lovin
05-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Hi all,

Finally, in about two weeks time I will have the time to give my car a nice detail job. I am going to apply 2 coats of CG Black Light, then 5050 wax, and then v7.

In order to prep my car for the above process, I will wash & dry, use Iron X and then clay, and finally use Klasse AIO as the last prep stage, so it will go like this:

1) Wash
2) Iron X
3) Clay
4) Klasse AIO on a DAS6-Pro (similiar or identical european version of Griot's Garage DA) with a white polishing pad
5) 2 coats of Black Light using a gray finishing pad
6) apply 5050 wax by hand
7) apply v7

Does this whole process sound right to you?

Any comments will be happily received :)

MustangMikeFL
05-12-2012, 05:00 PM
That should make for a very nice finish for sure. I've used the BL/V7 and they're a nice combo and the 50/50 will only improve the look.

dennis hiip
05-12-2012, 05:18 PM
I'm soon to use the same 3 CG products, so I've been reading and researching. I think BL is basically an AIO so I wonder why you are doing step 4 with the Klasse?

swanicyouth
05-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Sounds great. If it was me, I would replace the Klasse AIO with a paint cleaner or dedicated polish, since you will be topping with a wax and sealant already. Does the paint need any correction?

Mc'lovin
05-12-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm soon to use the same 3 CG products, so I've been reading and researching. I think BL is basically an AIO so I wonder why you are doing step 4 with the Klasse?

Yeah, I was debating on this step as well and I was aiming at getting advice about it in particular. From my understanding (which might very well be wrong), Black Light may serve as an AIO but also as a sealant, and you need to apply very little to no pressure if you want to acheive the sealant property (as opposed to the AIO possibilty). Since it has abrasive (even if they are mild), I am looking to use it in the least aggressive method possible because of my Suzuki's soft paint.

Hence, I'm using the Klasse AIO which has no abrasives as a paint cleanser, and the Black Light as a sealant. I hope that makes sense...?

Sounds great. If it was me, I would replace the Klasse AIO with a paint cleaner or dedicated polish, since you will be topping with a wax and sealant already. Does the paint need any correction?

I am using KAIO as a paint cleaner. Or should I?

The paint is in a very good condition. The car is only a few months old. Sure, it has its few swirls here and there, but you need to make an effort to spot them.

swanicyouth
05-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Since the paint is new/nice why not use Blacklight as your AIO, then just top it with 50/50??? If Blacklight is an AIO I'm guessing it would remove the Klasse anyway. I just can't believe it's how much pressure you apply it with.

Mc'lovin
05-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Since the paint is new/nice why not use Blacklight as your AIO, then just top it with 50/50??? If Blacklight is an AIO I'm guessing it would remove the Klasse anyway. I just can't believe it's how much pressure you apply it with.

Yes, but I have no problem with Klasse being removed, as I am applying it only to clean the paint from prior wax and sealant, so that Black Light will bond better as a sealant. Klasse in this process is prep step, not part of the LSP process.

But, perhaps you're right.... I would appreciate more views on this matter.

Thanks for the comments so far!

dennis hiip
05-12-2012, 06:54 PM
If you haven't already read it,detailed image has a product review of BL that I found helpful. Also the product description on the GC website.

Mc'lovin
05-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks everyone :)

opie_7afe
05-13-2012, 12:17 PM
to make things faster, you do not need to let car dry prior to applying iron-x. in my opinion leaving car still wet helps spread the IX out. then for claying i do not dry the surface either, the way i see it is just use a product that you can use as a clay lube and i adjust my dilution to me a little bit lower so the water left on surface compensates for the stronger diluted clay lube. so i just spray surface with my lube clay and wipe off with a microfiber, saves time as your going to follow the claying with a towel anyways so minds well dry as you clay. and the less time towels touch paint less chance of scratching(even though you are polishing). everything else sounds good besides that. i would use a dedicated polish instead of an all in one since your applying an LSP anyways. why not get more correction for the same amount of time? good luck on your detail!

opie_7afe
05-13-2012, 12:22 PM
If you haven't already read it,detailedimage.com has a product review of BL that I found helpful. Also the product description on the GC website.
Sir, you should have read over the rules before posting, if you have not read the rules you can read them here : http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/company-forum-news-headlines/23712-forum-rules.html

Mc'lovin
05-13-2012, 02:29 PM
... i would use a dedicated polish instead of an all in one since your applying an LSP anyways. why not get more correction for the same amount of time? good luck on your detail!

The thing is that my paint is in pretty good (even very good) condition and I don't want to achieve correction at this point. It's a daily driver which is parked outside 24/7, so I want to keep as much as clear coat as possible (I know I may use a very mild dedicated polish, yet there is no real reason why).

Thanks for the comment and the clay bar advice!

Memphis_Blue
09-19-2012, 10:58 AM
The thing is that my paint is in pretty good (even very good) condition and I don't want to achieve correction at this point. It's a daily driver which is parked outside 24/7, so I want to keep as much as clear coat as possible (I know I may use a very mild dedicated polish, yet there is no real reason why).

Thanks for the comment and the clay bar advice!

Did you end up using both Klasse AIO and the Blacklight? How did it work?
:buffing:

Mc'lovin
09-20-2012, 01:58 AM
Did you end up using both Klasse AIO and the Blacklight? How did it work?
:buffing:

I think it turned out well, I was not THAT impressed with BL on my car's paint which is on the lighter side. Don't get me wrong, it still looked great, but after all of photos I've seen, I guess it will have a more tremendous effect on darker paints.

I think of KAIO as more of a paint cleaner (and an excellent one it is) than an AIO.

Here a couple of after pics:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/after210.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/afters.jpg