PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof molding

BWG707
05-11-2012, 08:49 PM
I've noticed that the molding around sunroofs deteriorate very fast. What products would you reccommend? I've used 303 Protectant and 1Z vinyal and rubber protectant but they just don't seem to last very long at all. They both tended to dry out within about a week or so. I live in CA so we do get alot of sun.

WRXINXS
05-11-2012, 09:01 PM
I have heard "1z Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege" would be a good product for that area. But it is water based so I'm not sure about longevity. It is designed for rubber weather seals though. I guess you could also look into something petroleum based such as Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant or UTTG. I think the Rubber Care stick liquid would soak in more though.

BWG707
05-11-2012, 09:13 PM
I have heard "1z Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege" would be a good product for that area. But it is water based so I'm not sure about longevity. It is designed for rubber weather seals though. I guess you could also look into something petroleum based such as Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant or UTTG. I think the Rubber Care stick liquid would soak in more though.

I read the product description and it sounds like it is just what I'm looking for, thank you. I just ordered some. I'm curious about the durability but for the price it's worth a try. I could always use it in the engine compartment if it doesn't work out on the sunroof.

WRXINXS
05-12-2012, 08:34 AM
I read the product description and it sounds like it is just what I'm looking for, thank you. I just ordered some. I'm curious about the durability but for the price it's worth a try. I could always use it in the engine compartment if it doesn't work out on the sunroof.

True, you can also use it on your door/trunk/engine bay interior gaskets to reduce wind noise and keep them in good shape. I use it on mine about twice a year.

BostonDetails
05-12-2012, 10:01 AM
I swear by Wolfgang Trim sealant. haven't tried the UTTG but a lot of people like it.

bmwgalore
05-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Yup, 1z Einszett Gummi Pflege is great!

Poorboy's Trim restorer (with UV block, $17) is excellent too.

Old Tiger
05-12-2012, 10:37 AM
The best water based is DuraGloss 531. UTTG or WGETS for solvent based.

RMM
05-12-2012, 10:41 AM

Don't use Einszett Gummi Pflege on the outside or you will be disapointed - it will wash out pretty fast!
It is great, though, on the seals to keep them as new and reduces undesired noises. It is a true must have - and cheap too!
For exterior UTTG or maybe DG #531.

gatoman39
05-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Try PERL neat.