PDA

View Full Version : Product application amount

SON1C
05-11-2012, 06:09 PM
How do you know when you're using the proper amount of product ?

Robert8194
05-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Kind of depends on the product. My general rule is if I think I am using the right amount, I'm using too much. If I think I am not using enough, I'm probably pretty close. If you are talking about machine polishing, watch Mike's. Videos and you will see how to prime a pad and then use just a few pea size spots.

SON1C
05-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Yeah I've seen that, more for hand polishing and wax and sealant application by hand

ScottB
05-11-2012, 08:46 PM
with a wax or sealant applied by hand, a very thin and even coat. Anything more is likely just wasted product and makes it harder to remove.

dtuna42
05-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Kind of depends on the product. My general rule is if I think I am using the right amount, I'm using too much. If I think I am not using enough, I'm probably pretty close. If you are talking about machine polishing, watch Mike's. Videos and you will see how to prime a pad and then use just a few pea size spots.

Same here...

Bunky
05-12-2012, 05:48 AM
How do you know when you're using the proper amount of product ?

Since the most common mistake is using to much, the first sign is you are spending to much time rubbing to remove whatever it is.

To complement an earlier comment, if you are using a wax or sealant and totally relying on visual clues to decide coverage, you are likely using too much. You should be at the edge of where visually you are not using enough and rely on the fact you have covered the area by your overlapping passes.

For polishes, if too little, it will disappear quickly and end up dry buffing. If you use too much, it will take forever to break i down. You do have to adjust the amount used based upon work area size.

When using a polish you can start on the low side, spread then assess how well it spread, and add a little more if it did not spread as evenly as needed.