PDA

View Full Version : Griots DA Polisher - Pads?

T0RCH3D
05-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Going to be purchasing the Griots DA Polisher. I was also told to purchase the following pads for use:

-5.5" LC Flats (12 pads: 2 Yellow, 4 Orange, 4 White, 2 Black)
-4" LC Hydro Tech Pads (6 pads, 2 Cyan, 2 Tangerine, 2 Crimson)
-3.5" LC Backing Plate

Anyways, is this the best bet and will the 5.5" pads fit on the 6" backing plate that comes with the Griots DA polisher?

Do I need the 4" Hydrotech Pads, are they worth it?

Should I get the LC Flats or the CCS Pads?

Thanks in advance for the help!:props:

SON1C
05-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Flats

T0RCH3D
05-10-2012, 09:31 PM
5.5" for the 6" backing plate? And are the hydro-tech 4" pads a must here or just handy?

Mazda.Mark
05-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Need 5" backing plate. I lik flat pads for correcting. Jewling ccs or hydrotech

Rsurfer
05-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Going to be purchasing the Griots DA Polisher. I was also told to purchase the following pads for use:

-5.5" LC Flats (12 pads: 2 Yellow, 4 Orange, 4 White, 2 Black)
-4" LC Hydro Tech Pads (6 pads, 2 Cyan, 2 Tangerine, 2 Crimson)
-3.5" LC Backing Plate

Anyways, is this the best bet and will the 5.5" pads fit on the 6" backing plate that comes with the Griots DA polisher?

Do I need the 4" Hydrotech Pads, are they worth it?

Should I get the LC Flats or the CCS Pads?

Thanks in advance for the help!:props:
You will need a 5" BP for the 5.5" pads. The 4" pads will come in handy. I like the flat pads.

HotWhipT/A
05-10-2012, 10:21 PM
You'll need a 5" backing plate and a 3.5". Why so many of each? Personally, I'd get 1 yellow, 2 orange, 2 white, 1 green, and 1 black. I use orange and white the most. The black one gets used, but not abused so it lasts. The 4" pads are very handy on bumpers, rockers, pillars, mirrors, etc. I prefer CCS pads.

T0RCH3D
05-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I am only going to get 6 5.5 pads for now. I am still torn between CCS and Flats

Spiney
05-11-2012, 12:29 AM
Hi, I'm in the same boat as SVT46. Got a GG 6" DA Buffer. For us non pros is there a need to buy the Blue or Red LC Flat foam pads for applying wax or sealants or can we get by with just black/grey pad? Thanks, Spiney

opie_7afe
05-11-2012, 12:49 AM
ccs pads are worthless for correction imo, they offer less correctional ability due to the pads dimples, meaning there is less foam in contact with the paint which also means less product is on paint working. I'll say this, with a DA polisher we look for every way possible to maximize correctional ability by using smaller thinner pads. so, why would we use pads that give a lower correctional ability? go with the flats . ccs are fine for jeweling or wax(best for waxing imo) as the pores will hold in fresh wax which helps a little bit. the dimples seem pointless to me with no true basing on the point of them other then to hold product... and i use the black pad as a polishing pad due to the density, it has no cutting ability however the density helps with polishing/jeweling and some paints require the black pad to finish out swirl free. for waxing i just use a red/blue pad due to the softness able to "mold" into certain areas of the car(like the car in spinys avatar the hood lines near the center,the pad will form to those areas). with waxing you don't need rotation as long as you're getting a thin even coat of product.

to the original poster, for 5.5" pads you use a 5" backing plate

05-11-2012, 04:10 AM
Wish I would of read this 3 days ago. I have 4 ccs pads on the way and I was debating on the flats. I did notice correction was difficult the first time I used them but figured it was me being a newbie. Oh well.

Side note is the griots a 5/16 thread for backing plates?

Mike Phillips
05-11-2012, 06:34 AM
Side note is the griots a 5/16 thread for backing plates?

Yes. All the popular PC style DA Polishers use the standard of 5/16" thread. That and everything you ever wanted to know about using a PC style DA Polisher can be found in my first how-to book.

Paperback
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/medium/paperbackDetailingBook01.jpg (http://www.autogeek.net/art-of-detailing-paperback-book.html)

:xyxthumbs: