PDA

View Full Version : DG 501 Issue?

BTLew81
05-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I used this on my white Jetta last week, LC White pad on my GG6. Looked good, didnt use the sun gun. All through the week I have noticed the car looks weird. In the sun today, I noticed there is micromarring all over the car. Did a test spot and it appears that M205 and a heavy polishing pad took it right out.

So, I am thinking that my pad did not have enough product or I applied at too high of a speed. I noticed that the product seemed really hard to spread and I used a lot of product. Doesnt seem normal. I'm not blaming 501, as I think it was a pad issue, but what are your thoughts?

So, I am going to polish it out tomorrow. Question is do I try to apply my 501/601 combo by hand and then 105/601, or do I skip the 501? From what I have seen, 501 shoud NOT have enough abrasives to cause anything like this.

Thoughts are appreciated.

FlawlessJ
05-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Are you sure it's micromarring? I have had issues with DG501 and 105 where they don't want to come off at all! using quick detailer helps out a ton though!

duck_commander
05-10-2012, 09:09 PM
i've used 501 by itself and with 601 on numerous paints (ford, honda, subaru, toyota) all with a DA and using either an orange or white foam pad and have never had or seen micromiarring, but i'm no pro...

BTLew81
05-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Definitely micromarring...I dont know. Maybe it was a bad pad. Just mad at myself that I need to repolish after spending so much time with D300/MF and then 205. 205 to the rescue I guess...

duck_commander
05-10-2012, 09:18 PM
did you do a test spot with the 501 before polishing the whole car?

Did your test spot show marring?

BTLew81
05-10-2012, 09:55 PM
It didnt appear to, but I didnt use the sungun. I am going to polish out tomorrow and then do a test panel with 501. Hopefully it's fine. Gonna try it by hand this time.

I truly think it was the pad. I'm really not happy with LC pads lately. User error involved as well..I fully take some blame.

richy
05-10-2012, 10:52 PM
I'm sorry you had that experience. This is not M105, use more than a few drops. Work it slowly and thoroughly. It should buff off effortlessly. Check out this video I did last year using the DG nano polish. Different product, but still, spread it this way and let me know please.

New Application method for DG nano products - YouTube

BTLew81
05-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Thanks, Richy. I did use a copious amount. A lot, actually. I just polished out a test spot with 205. Real quick, but it 99% of the marring. Applied a test spot with 501 and it looks fine after buffing. I truly think it was a pad issue. So, maybe I'll hit the car with 501 and then 105 by hand, using a test area first and examining with the sun gun. Fingers crossed that will work.

rwright
05-11-2012, 01:40 AM
Thanks, Richy. I did use a copious amount. A lot, actually. I just polished out a test spot with 205. Real quick, but it 99% of the marring. Applied a test spot with 501 and it looks fine after buffing. I truly think it was a pad issue. So, maybe I'll hit the car with 501 and then 105 by hand, using a test area first and examining with the sun gun. Fingers crossed that will work.

I would still do the DG 105 by machine, just like in the video Richy posted. I was doing it by hand for a while then one day applied it by machine and it nearly "disappears" into the paint... ;)

RTexasF
05-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Perhaps a softer gray/black pad would work better.

lkotsios
05-11-2012, 06:15 AM
I used this on my white Jetta last week, LC White pad on my GG6. Looked good, didnt use the sun gun. All through the week I have noticed the car looks weird. In the sun today, I noticed there is micromarring all over the car. Did a test spot and it appears that M205 and a heavy polishing pad took it right out.

So, I am thinking that my pad did not have enough product or I applied at too high of a speed. I noticed that the product seemed really hard to spread and I used a lot of product. Doesnt seem normal. I'm not blaming 501, as I think it was a pad issue, but what are your thoughts?

So, I am going to polish it out tomorrow. Question is do I try to apply my 501/601 combo by hand and then 105/601, or do I skip the 501? From what I have seen, 501 shoud NOT have enough abrasives to cause anything like this.

Thoughts are appreciated.
501 left micromarring on my 93 corvette as well.

richy
05-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Perhaps a softer gray/black pad would work better.

501 left micromarring on my 93 corvette as well.

While I have never had an issue with a pad leaving micromarring, you could try a less aggressive pad. I recommend white B & S or LCC as they do a good job of cleaning the paint and still leave protection. The milder the pad, the less cleaning and it will probably last longer. Depends on what you're trying to accomplish, but obviously not at the expense of marring. Please update us on what works for you.