PDA

View Full Version : T8 Light Fixture / Epoxy Grage Coating

Pages : [1] 2

fenderpicks
05-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Hey guys, i know many of you out there own some T8 Light Fixture in ur garage, I was wondering what color T8 lights do you guys find best suited for detailing needs?

Also i plan on epoxy coat my garage floor, does anyone know what color floor will give me the best result in detailing...
Im not a expert in light reflection and what not....

My garage is painted Light green, will just a few light bulbs around it....
Plan on just getting 2 T8 light fixture.
My garage the 2 car garage type... so i plan on having 1 T8 on each side.

TornadoRed
05-10-2012, 05:08 PM
I think CRI (color rendering index) is more important. The bulbs should have a cri rating on the package. Get as close to 100 as you can afford. BTW Walmart doesn't carry high cri bulbs so go to Home Depot or Lowes. After that, choose color. Someone suggested mixing colors (one of each bulb in each fixture). I did that and have been happy with it. I think I have a 4500 and a 5000 both with a cri in the low 90s in each fixture. You'll also probably want 4 -6 fixtures (2 on each side plus front and back.

fenderpicks
05-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Man i dont have that many ceiling plugs...
I got only 1 T8 fixture so far... bought it yesterday to see how it is...
This one hangs down from the ceiling... and requires a wall plug

TornadoRed
05-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Man i dont have that many ceiling plugs...
I got only 1 T8 fixture so far... bought it yesterday to see how it is...
This one hangs down from the ceiling... and requires a wall plug

I have the same problem. I have extension cords and plug adapters hanging all over the place. I hope the fire marshal doesn't stop by.

fenderpicks
05-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Lol oh god... well i thought about doing that too... but just look ghetto lol
I gues i will stop by home depot and take a look at what they have

Morphiusrt
05-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Don't go to home depot or lowes. Go to an electric supply house they have a way better selection and will
actually know what your talking about when you say cri.

Thats just my $.02

fenderpicks
05-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Man idk any electric supply house around me =[
Im an idiot when it comes to electrical

Morphiusrt
05-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Just ask them for a high cri F32T8 41k or 5k. I work for a supply house so I am biased lol.

fenderpicks
05-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Do u think home depot will have any?
And which one is better 41k or 5k?

I picked up these yesterday...
32-Watt 4Ft T8 Daylight Deluxe Linear Fluorescent Light Bulbs (10-Pack)-152355 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100476644/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=t8+bulb&storeId=10051)

Morphiusrt
05-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Those should be fine. As long as the cri is decent. Most T8's have a decent cri anyways. FYI cri = how vibrant your colors look. K = kelvin which is the temperature of your light 27k yellow and 64k is like sunlight super white. usually the the higher kelvin gives you more lumens.

swanicyouth
05-10-2012, 06:22 PM
I have the same problem. I have extension cords and plug adapters hanging all over the place. I hope the fire marshal doesn't stop by.

I plan on getting the same hanging lights, however, I'm planning on getting on of those adapters that will turn my regular ceiling light bulb into 2 extra sockets. The adapter looks like a regular light bulb base, but has plug receptacles in it. The regular light bulb then screws into it. That way the T8 strips will work with the regular switch and there won't be extension cords all over. Since fluorescents don't draw a lot of juice, it should be OK I believe. Good idea???

swanicyouth
05-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Also, was at Walmart, and they do stock the bright 6xxx k T8s

BlueZero
05-10-2012, 06:27 PM
I have my eye on a few of these... Lithonia Lighting Industrial 6-Light High Bay Hanging Fixture (http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Indoor-Lighting-Industrial-Shop-Lighting/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvnq/R-202193185/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051).

Morphiusrt has good advice on bulbs. CRI = Color Rendering Index it's how true to life the colors look.

Also if you don't have outlets on the ceiling to plug in. Do you have regular light bulbs in sockets? They make adapters for those so you can plug stuff in. That is nice too because then your light switch you already have will control your new lights.

Edit... swanicyouth types faster than I do about the sockets. lol

richy
05-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Here's a thread I did having my floor done with polyaspartic epoxy coating:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/49384-rich-s-garage-makeover.html

fenderpicks
05-10-2012, 11:15 PM
I just bought a epoxy kit from Home Depot, im gonna get to work tomorrow!!

Also got a few new light bulbs, same color as my t8
Now my garage is pretty bright....

Just afraid my T8 Fixtures will fall on top of my car...
Since they hang....