PDA

View Full Version : Durability

Pages : [1] 2

ScottB
03-05-2006, 01:54 PM
This question has been bugging me for an eternity. We all know that sealants "typically" offer better durability (length of protection) over that of a carnuba. Yet they usually fail to offer the warmth, depth, and true wet-look of their carnuba counterparts.

How is that we use durability as a "main" selling point ?? I dont know many detailers that would carefully detail their pride and joy, only to allow it to sit unattended or just washed for 3 -- 6 -- 8 months prior to sealing or waxing again. Surely professionals DONT want a product to protect that long, or they would not be able to revisit and make the bigger $$ by doing a complete detail. I understand those that like gloss and reflectivity moving to sealants, but they quickly tout how long their fav sealant lasts. How do they truly know ????

So please let me know if I am off base. Using a wash with polymer technology, using a spray wax, or QD with polymers can also increase durability and enhance either product. So how many are truly detailing obsessed, yet only detail twice a year with "just" a sealant???

DARKSTI
03-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Its not that important to me, I usually pust a coat on if I can evry time I wash, especially in winter.

tasdisr
03-05-2006, 02:42 PM
I have been using the Klasse twins topped by a coat of P21S paste wax
on my silver car with good results and durability. I try to detail my car once a month weather permitting. I am going to try using the Wolfgang products topped with the P21S first chance I get.

cwcad
03-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Durability is of great import to me. Not necessarily on my personal truck since I detail it so often. It is the wife's vehicle that needs the protection.

My wifes' vehicle gets weekly attention when I am home. Yet there are six months of every year that the vehicle is with out any attention at all. Consequently I am constantly searching for the longest most durable protectant on the market. I do this by testing products on my truck. Resulting in good durable protection for the wife's car while I am gone.

Sherman8r44
03-05-2006, 03:47 PM
I am a slickness freak, so I look for sealants to have maximum longevity of slickness possible. Also, it's important to me that LSP's are more able to withstand the effects of winter, when it's too cold to detail often, and for panels near the engine to best resist heat.

joe.p
03-05-2006, 05:01 PM
I like a sealant year round toped with a nice carnuaba. But during the winter months i feel the importance of a good sealer,the weather is less apt to coperate theirfore i dont have chance to apply a sealent/wax on a regular basis, so this is when i need the most protection. In the Summer month's i would use a sealent but then continue with a carnuaba(sp) every 2-3 weeks..

BlkTac05
03-05-2006, 05:18 PM
One of the reasons why durability isn't important to me is the fact that I just LOVE to detail my truck. I truely enjoy the process. I find it to be quite relaxing.......seems to melt the "work stress" away. Here in West Texas, the weather is perfect for year round detailing. I've never gone more than 4 weeks without sealing or waxing. I wash & QD twice a week & apply a quality carnauba about every 3 weeks. About every 3 months, I tear everything down by claying,polishing,glazing (from time to time)sealing then waxing. I just love it!! All in all, I tend to use sealants for protection & carnauba for that deep,wet,rich liquid shimmering goodness that many of us love.

STLMustang
03-05-2006, 07:48 PM
I haven't a garage, and I have a mustang convertible with metalflake paint. My ability to OC detail just isn't there time wise, so the more durable a product is, the happier I am.

MasterShineBoy
03-05-2006, 07:56 PM
I really like top sealants. Some don't really require it, but this way I can accheive the best of both worlds.

Miami_Sunset
03-06-2006, 04:31 AM
Durability will always be a factor.. & if we can get the added carnauba/slickness look that UPP/Wolfgang give then we are ok.

5000XD
03-06-2006, 05:37 AM
Durability is important I guess, but since I clean my paint at least once a month and seal/wax it afterwards its not that important to me. Funny thing is that I use the one of the best sealants, Wolfgangs Paint sealant.

JeffW
03-08-2006, 09:13 AM
On my daily driver (which gets about 150+ miles daily) durability is my most important criteria, with looks being an important 2nd consideration. My product selection now-a-days is to use only product families that have a liquid sealant AND a spray sealant - such as WG and UPP (boy am I glad WG sealant spritz and UPPS were invented!)

Wife's and daughter's cars, durability is much less of a concern.

MasterShineBoy
03-09-2006, 02:02 AM
No matter the circumstances, duribility will always be important!

ScottB
03-09-2006, 07:09 AM
No matter the circumstances, duribility will always be important!

I understand the importance of durability ... but do most of us really need a product that lasts for six months ?? Even on the spouses car, cars that are daily drivers, and those that sit in the elements 24/7 (please remember I am in Florida, we have no seasons, just 5 cold days and alot of hot days). Would you really go that long without rewaxing or resealing ??

Also I have never seen any product that does NOT fall off considerably the original look and benefits after about two months of protection. Thus the need for spray sealants, QD with polymers, and other newer technology to keep it going ?? So would you be more inclined to shop for a product that offers six months of protection or a product offering two-three months of protection but clearly looks better while doing it ???

BlkTac05
03-09-2006, 02:41 PM
killrwheels brings up a terrific point in his previous post. I prefer a product that protects & maintains that "fresh" look for a 2 month period of time. With that being said......I rarely let a product "cuddle" my paint for more than 4 weeks at a time before I re apply a fresh layer. As a "carnauba junkie", I've found that most of the quality carnaubas in my detailing arsenal provide the best protection/optics for a 4-6 week period of time. Quality QD's such as Crystal Mist can be used to "replenish" or "extend" the performance of a carnauba. But within limits. For instance, you're not gonna apply 3 layers of Souveran (over 3 consecutive days) to your daily driver that sits ungaraged year round & expect to maintain it's performance for an entire year by just washing & QDing with Crystal Mist. As for sealants.......Most sealants I've used on many different vehicles perform at their peak for a 2 month period of time.I've only used 2 that offer expectional performance beyond 2 months on their own. One 2 part acryilc "system" is available at the Geek & the other is "GEEKless". Weather can directly impact a products durabilty. For instance.......The rain in Seatle, the hard winters in the Northern & North Eastern parts of our great country, the blazing sun here in the South West & South, even industrial fallout in the "blue collar" cities (just to name a few) can reek havok on a products performance & effectiveness. There's so much to say on this subject with so little time!