PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Opti-Coat 2.0?

Shane731
05-10-2012, 12:39 AM
While I am aware that you can maintain Opti-Coat 2.0 with Poli-Seal every so often and top with OID or OCW after washing if you so desire, I would like to know, what kind of soap should you use when washing a car that has been Opti-Coated? Would any of the following work:

Dodo Juice Born to be Mild
Dodo Juice Wax Safe Wash
Dodo Juice Supernatural shampoo
Optimum Car Wash
Meguiar's Shampoo Plus
Ultima Paint Guard Wash

silverfox
05-10-2012, 04:44 AM
You could even wash it with dawn or at a local car wash and you would not hurt it. OC can only be removed with abrasives such as a polish or compound.

Chris Thomas
05-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Those are all good choices. You can even use stronger chemicals like Power Clean on the lower panels, grill, or wherever needed as it won't harm OC.

richy
05-10-2012, 10:43 AM
I find ONR to be the best choice if it's not too bad. I follow up with AW every once in a while or even Permanon.

cfarley27
05-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Is Poli-Seal the only recommended type of sealant/cleaner to clean OC or can you use something like a cleaner wax such as OTC Zymol or even Duragloss 501?

bigez
05-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Has anybody ever put opti-seal on top of opti-coat? I know-- I'm a geek. I tried this recently and thought it looked pretty good, but have no clue about longevity. It's soO easy to apply though.

On second thought, maybe OCW or AW would be better or just as easy.

Rsurfer
05-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Has anybody ever put opti-seal on top of opti-coat? I know-- I'm a geek. I tried this recently and thought it looked pretty good, but have no clue about longevity. It's soO easy to apply though.

On second thought, maybe OCW or AW would be better or just as easy.Anything over OC will only last a couple of weeks at most. You can layer OC within 30 days...after 30 you need to scuff the surface before applying OC.

Clainhart
05-13-2012, 05:56 AM
I'm new to detailing and have no idea what oid, ocw, or any other abbreviations mean, but I want give to give opti-coat a shot. I'm unsure of what's the best product to maintain it. Poli-seal seems to be the way to go, but it says it has minor correction ability. what about optimum finish polish? Would that be better if you don't need any correction? What place does it have otherwise?

BobbyG
05-13-2012, 06:15 AM
I'm new to detailing and have no idea what oid, ocw, or any other abbreviations mean, but I want give to give opti-coat a shot.

Not to fear, these have the dubious distinction of being acronyms...

OC - Opti-Coat
OTC - Over The Counter
OPC - Optimum Power Clean
OCW - Optimum Car Wax
ONR - Optimum No Rinse
OID - Optimum Instant Detailer
APC - All Purpose Cleaner
APC - Armored Personnel Carrier

mjlinane
05-13-2012, 06:23 AM
Not to fear, these have the dubious distinction of being acronyms...

APC - All Purpose Cleaner
APC - Armored Personnel Carrier

ROFL. ;)

Where I work, the same acronym can have 4-5 different meanings. Does make understanding tough some times.

dougaross
05-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Poly-seal will remove some of the OC since it has abrasives. I suppose this ok if you have some slight swirls. I would more inclined to use Optimum Finish.

Car washing products will work quite well for cleaning. I like CG Wash and Gloss but even Dawn will work fine. Optimum Power Clean as Chris stated

Old Tiger
05-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Is Poli-Seal the only recommended type of sealant/cleaner to clean OC or can you use something like a cleaner wax such as OTC Zymol or even Duragloss 501?
imo ANY SEALANT WILL ADVERSELY AFFECT THE DUST REPELLANCY. i WILL CLEAN MY og WITH Optimum Polish from time to time. No need to use a machinne.

timaishu
05-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Which has less cut, OFP or poli-seal?

IID
05-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Which has less cut, OFP or poli-seal?

I believe PS has less cut(being a AIO).OFP is just that,a polish.

dougaross
05-13-2012, 02:53 PM
I believe PS has less cut(being a AIO).OFP is just that,a polish.
I would have thought the opposite since PS will remove high spots and it require 2 passes OFP to roughen OC prior to layering..

Maybe Chris will provide some feedback