PDA

View Full Version : Tracking hours on a job

Pages : [1] 2

Becciasm
05-09-2012, 11:07 AM
I am curious what are some techniques/tools used to accurately log and track hours worked on a detailing job.

Do you keep spreadsheets? Timesheets? Ipad/Tablet? Pencil and Paper? "just take my word for it"?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

tuscarora dave
05-09-2012, 11:14 AM
I only track the hours for my own reasons. I normally just figure in my head through experience how long a job will/should take me and then quote a price to the customer and let him or her know how long I need the car for. My OCD more than not, sends me into overtime that is absorbed by me and doesn't cost the customer any more money. The customer need not be concerned with the hours that I work on the car other than when to pick the car up. I do however have an app called "my work clock" that allows you to punch the clock as many times as is necessary and track related info and notes for future reference.

SANTA3013
05-09-2012, 11:26 AM
I been using At-A-Glance day planner for years for most of my record keeping. I detail part-time so I don't have a lot of records to keep however I do write down the type of vehicle, the hours I spent detailing it and how much I charged.

Flash Gordon
05-09-2012, 01:32 PM
I am curious what are some techniques/tools used to accurately log and track hours worked on a detailing job.

Do you keep spreadsheets? Timesheets? Ipad/Tablet? Pencil and Paper? "just take my word for it"?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Once I start I don't stop. When I'm done, thats the hours worked. I don't need no stinking spread sheet for that

Hope this helps

Flash

Becciasm
05-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Once I start I don't stop. When I'm done, thats the hours worked. I don't need no stinking spread sheet for that

Hope this helps

Flash

It does. I figured most are this way. Some break for lunch or other things. Some break up a detail into several days.. I'm looking for a sample pool. Thanks again for your insight.

shoeless89
05-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Like Dave said I've become pretty good at estimating how much time it will take to do a given detail. I do have a disclaimer that neglected vehicles may incur an extra charge :)

Flash Gordon
05-09-2012, 02:00 PM
It does. I figured most are this way. Some break for lunch or other things. Some break up a detail into several days.. I'm looking for a sample pool. Thanks again for your insight.

If the work runs into 2 days, when I'm done working the first day I look at the clock, add the hours, then start from there the next day

It doesn't require any kind of fancy device for me personaly to keep up with my hours other then a clock. I guess if the customer is concerned I'm not doing what I say, they can either watch me or video me or go somewhere else

Becciasm
05-09-2012, 02:03 PM
I guess if the customer is concerned I'm not doing what I say, they can either watch me or video me or go somewhere else

This is where I'm coming from - has there been times where you've had to defend your hours or final price, due to the customer not being present for the whole detail/paint correction process?

I'm not there yet, i'm looking for advice on possible scenarios..

Flash Gordon
05-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Oh, I don't break for lunch either. Makes me wanna take a nap after I eat

Flash Gordon
05-09-2012, 02:07 PM
This is where I'm coming from - has there been times where you've had to defend your hours or final price, due to the customer not being present for the whole detail/paint correction process?

I'm not there yet, i'm looking for advice on possible scenarios..

That is the biggest benefit to working mobile IMO. Its hard to argue the fact when they can see you from their home

I have customers who think I can do a full paint correction in 1 hour. Most people don't realize how much time actually goes into a proper detail

Becciasm
05-09-2012, 02:26 PM
I only track the hours for my own reasons. I normally just figure in my head through experience how long a job will/should take me and then quote a price to the customer and let him or her know how long I need the car for. My OCD more than not, sends me into overtime that is absorbed by me and doesn't cost the customer any more money. The customer need not be concerned with the hours that I work on the car other than when to pick the car up. I do however have an app called "my work clock" that allows you to punch the clock as many times as is necessary and track related info and notes for future reference.

Going above and beyond what the client is expecting is essential to good customer relations, even for me it's been just a recommendation to AGO or products. I'm interested in the App, as it may be something useful. A low-tech alternative would be a stopwatch i guess.

I been using At-A-Glance day planner for years for most of my record keeping. I detail part-time so I don't have a lot of records to keep however I do wright down the type of vehicle, the hours I spent detailing it and how much I charged.

An excellent suggestion.

Like Dave said I've become pretty good at estimating how much time it will take to do a given detail. I do have a disclaimer that neglected vehicles may incur an extra charge :)

I've seen that disclaimer from a number of people. Good tip!

That is the biggest benefit to working mobile IMO. Its hard to argue the fact when they can see you from their home

I have customers who think I can do a full paint correction in 1 hour. Most people don't realize how much time actually goes into a proper detail

I've not ventured into the paint correction yet, but i've had some come out to their cars and wonder what's taking so long... after i've been cleaning their neglected wheels for an hour.

I don't have the means and methods yet of going mobile, and when i start paint correction i don't anticipate clients hanging around for the duration..

rustytruck
05-09-2012, 04:39 PM
If your going to charge by the hour you still need to give the customer a ballpark of an idea on how much it's going to cost. If you tell someone you charge $25 an hour their first question is going to be "ok how many hours will it take?" Your better off doing a couple of cars, seeing how long it takes and coming up for a price for each service.

Flash Gordon
05-09-2012, 05:46 PM
If your going to charge by the hour you still need to give the customer a ballpark of an idea on how much it's going to cost. If you tell someone you charge $25 an hour their first question is going to be "ok how many hours will it take?" Your better off doing a couple of cars, seeing how long it takes and coming up for a price for each service.

I agree with this, but I still prefer to work for someone that doesn't ask "How Much" If I give a quote, in the back of my mind I'm fighting a clock http://www.autopia.org/forum/images/smilies2/clock.gif

I've also found ppl who don't ask "how much" tend to be better tippers fwiw http://www.autopia.org/forum/images/smilies2/wink.gif

rustytruck
05-09-2012, 08:50 PM
If you can find people who give you their keys and a open ended ticket that's great. Around here no agrees to anything with out knowing "how much" The whole concept of mobile auto detailing is new around here so people aren't sure if they should tip. So do some don't.

chefnick
05-09-2012, 09:43 PM
3-4 HOURS ON AN EXTERIOR 1-2 ON INTERIOR TOTALLY RECON JOB.
wash , clay, super intense polish , ultra finish polish , blackfire seal.
interior....clean , condition and protect.
wholesale $25 per hour private $50 per hour
Cquartz extra usually $300 per car $400 suv or truck
$100-150 for exterior w/ sealant
interior $50-100
all depends on the condition of the vehicle