PDA

View Full Version : First detail of my 2012 VW

Servus
05-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Greetings,

Drove home my first new car in 14 years, a 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon. I asked the dealer not to wax or buff the paint due to a bad experience I had in the past with a new car purchase and what the dealer did to the paint. The only thing the dealer did was hand wash the car.

In a few spots the paint has what looks like a paste substance. It is off white in color and a bit sticky.

If anyone has recently purchased a VW and encountered something similar, what did you do to remove this substance?
Is this leftover "paste" from the white film protectant applied to the car for transport? If not, any ideas?
What is the best method and product to remove this substance?
Cheers,

Eric

Nappers
05-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Although, not a VEEDUB, when I bought my Neon, it was not detailed at all, which I liked.

It too had the sticky stuff, the clear tape like stickers on the door to not get dings.

I used WD40 on a soft cloth to rid it of the sticky stuff then did a full detail later. Not sure clay would rid it of the sticky stuff.....

RMM
05-09-2012, 08:50 AM
If it's sticky it is probably some adhesive left-over.
You can use CarPro TarX or Meguiar's Body Solvent D130.

rcomito
05-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Hey Servus - Welcome to AGO.

I'd try an adhesive remover as others have mentioned.

Enjoy your new ride.

Rick

swanicyouth
05-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Best stuff to remove any sticky stuff on a small isolated area in my opinion is Goo Gone. It's cheap, everywhere sells it, and you only need a VERY small amount. However, after that you will need to use some IPA or similar to remove the Goo Gone. This stuff is awesome and removes the toughest sticky goo from stickers, adhesives, etc...

VdubbinMI
05-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Congrats on the new VW. Hopefully you got the TDI Sportwagon? Where are you finding this paste type substance you are speaking of? I worked at a VW dealer as a tech for 5 years and would see a waxy white/yellowish substance around the car when doing new car preps. It felt like a wax that they used when assembling the body and other parts of the car. Wheel well seams, underbody seams were the areas I mostly saw it on. Try using an APC diluted with water first and see if it cuts through the residue.

If its left over adhesive from the white wrap they put on the vehicles to protect them during transport you could try using some Stoners Tarminator or some 3M adhesive remover. Spray and rub very gently. Turn your towel often and use the power of the solvent rather than rubbing anything into the paint. Once 90% is gone you could probably remove the rest with a clay bar.

Enjoy the new car, my next VW will be a wagon for sure. Some much room in such a small package. :xyxthumbs:

Servus
05-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Congrats on the new VW. Hopefully you got the TDI Sportwagon? Where are you finding this paste type substance you are speaking of? I worked at a VW dealer as a tech for 5 years and would see a waxy white/yellowish substance around the car when doing new car preps. It felt like a wax that they used when assembling the body and other parts of the car. Wheel well seams, underbody seams were the areas I mostly saw it on. Try using an APC diluted with water first and see if it cuts through the residue.

If its left over adhesive from the white wrap they put on the vehicles to protect them during transport you could try using some Stoners Tarminator or some 3M adhesive remover. Spray and rub very gently. Turn your towel often and use the power of the solvent rather than rubbing anything into the paint. Once 90% is gone you could probably remove the rest with a clay bar.

Enjoy the new car, my next VW will be a wagon for sure. Some much room in such a small package. :xyxthumbs:

Thanks to all of you. VdubbinMI, yes a new Sportwagen TDI is sitting in my garage! I had to special order and waited 4.5 months to take ownership. You described the "waxy white/yellowish substance" just about right. It is not everywhere only a few spots on the lower side of a door or two. I will try Goo Gone first then decide what to do this does not remove all the contaminates. I will be detailing for the first time this Friday. Looking forward to it!!!

weekendwarrior
08-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Its to protect it in shipment from sea salt (ocean air). That could potentially sit on the car and then a car lot, then transport, then a car lot for months. So that goop is for protection, I had a BMW 328xi (also Made in Germany) with the same stuff on it from the dealer. I think I used standard car soap to remove, maybe used power washer.

Wayneezy
08-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Autoglym tar remover works great for a lot of stuff. I use it web removing residue from taking off decals at my dealership

Drew847
09-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Ya, its just a the left over adhesive we at Volkswagen use to transport the cars, Goo Gone will work fine. And no worries im out in the shop all the time helping and teaching our porters the correct way to buff/detail cars. (They have some learning to do). Hope you enjoy your new Vw!!