PDA

View Full Version : Opti Coat Prep Questions

BTLew81
05-08-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm preparing now...I'm going to be using DG products through the summer on my white 2012 Jetta. Toward the end of the summer I will have more time and would like to correct and apply opti coat. My plan is...

-Clay if needed
-D300/MF Cutting - Paint is HARD
-Optimum Finish Polish
-Eraser Wipe down
-OC

Think a dawn wash needs to go in there? I really want to avoid IPA. I've had issues with it being way to grabby in the past.

Really looking forward to having a low maint. DD in the future.

Thanks!

RaskyR1
05-08-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm preparing now...I'm going to be using DG products through the summer on my white 2012 Jetta. Toward the end of the summer I will have more time and would like to correct and apply opti coat. My plan is...

-Clay if needed
-D300/MF Cutting - Paint is HARD
-Optimum Finish Polish
-Eraser Wipe down
-OC

Think a dawn wash needs to go in there? I really want to avoid IPA. I've had issues with it being way to grabby in the past.

Really looking forward to having a low maint. DD in the future.

Thanks!

If you're using Opt Finish Polish for the final step all you should really need is to wipe the paint with a damp MF towel...(not 100% sure that fully applies if you use D300 first though)

I like to be sure and almost always perform the extra steps just to be sure the surface is 100% clean. You have several options to do this but typically I foam the car with OPC and follow that up with an Eraser wipe-down. If I use all Opt Polishes I may just do an ONR wash and the Eraser wipe-down

Chris Thomas
05-08-2012, 07:59 PM
The plan looks fine to me. You can use low odor mineral spirits as a post polish wipe that's not grabby.

bigez
08-25-2012, 05:12 PM
If you use the Optimum polishes, can you just use ONR as a final wipe down?? Or is it still recommended to use IPA or Mineral spirits?

Chris Thomas
08-25-2012, 05:53 PM
If you use Optimum polishes, you can use a water dampened MF or an ONR wash to prep for Opti-Coat. You'll want to make sure nothing is running out of cracks though. This excludes Poli-Seal and GPS.

Sent from my iPad 2 viaTapatalk

Old Tiger
08-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Good Luck! The Wurth Cleamn Solv is another alternative. I prefer Optimum Compound to D300. An 8 oz bottle should do and then you only need a damp MF after polishing,