PDA

View Full Version : Engine Detailing

cummins03
05-14-2006, 09:48 AM
I think there should be a good write up in the Tips and Tricks about cleaning the engine. What products to use on what, what to look for, what to avoid. I personally have not tried it because I wasn't sure where to start.

supercharged
05-14-2006, 10:13 AM
:iagree: it's a good idea. :applause:

BILL
05-14-2006, 10:26 AM
My engine is pretty new and detailing it is a breeze, but i agree it would be interesting to know the how to's, and what the pitfalls are.....in engine detailing......

scooterguitar
05-14-2006, 10:54 AM
I use S100 total cycle for my bike, but imagien it would work great on an engine as a starting point for general cleaning.

nick1897
05-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Am I allowed to post a write up on engine detailing, although its from a different car company.

ScottB
05-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Am I allowed to post a write up on engine detailing, although its from a different car company.

yes as long as links are not provided to specific products.

---------------

I detailed the CTS engine bay just prior to selling it. I used DP's Exterior Cleaner and sprayed most area's liberally. I then used a small paint brush to agitate the areas with stubborn grease/dirt. (stay away from coils or distributor as possible)

I then started the car and hosed off the area with my foam gun nozzle. I allowed the engine to get to operating temp before turning off. I also took my leaf blower and blew each corner and crevice to assure water not sitting.

Finally I took 303 Protectant and dressed all the black wire looms, rubber surrounds, and tubing. I then used a little Klasse AIO to protect the painted areas and the engine cover. (I only wish I took pics prior to selling the same day--not planned)

BILL
05-14-2006, 01:46 PM
The more i read about AIO the more i like it........

ScottB
05-14-2006, 01:57 PM
The more i read about AIO the more i like it........

It is truly a very versatile product. It can be used inside the house also. Tile, countertops and so on. I made the mistake of Klasse'ing the entire shower. It was a very painful experience as the soap sat above the tile, and well you can guess who looked like a dancing banana. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-024.gif

BILL
05-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Now That's Classic:awesome:

BlackCoupe
05-14-2006, 02:23 PM
yes as long as links are not provided to specific products.

---------------

I detailed the CTS engine bay just prior to selling it. I used DP's Exterior Cleaner and sprayed most area's liberally. I then used a small paint brush to agitate the areas with stubborn grease/dirt. (stay away from coils or distributor as possible)

I then started the car and hosed off the area with my foam gun nozzle. I allowed the engine to get to operating temp before turning off. I also took my leaf blower and blew each corner and crevice to assure water not sitting.

Finally I took 303 Protectant and dressed all the black wire looms, rubber surrounds, and tubing. I then used a little Klasse AIO to protect the painted areas and the engine cover. (I only wish I took pics prior to selling the same day--not planned)

WHat do I need to cover in the engine compartment before I hose it?

BILL
05-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Cover all electrical and any open intake ports.....saran wrap is good, and rags for the intakes

Not to high pressure on the hose.........Just be carefull......

ScottB
05-14-2006, 07:20 PM
WHat do I need to cover in the engine compartment before I hose it?

Truthfully on the Vette I never need to clean the engine as I detail weekly. Use Klasse AIO on the engine covers, and Quikshine or FK425 on painted items. And wiping the sand off any area were it sits. I use a foamy paintbrush around the hindges.

Remember the coil packs are under the engine covers, so keep them dry as possible. Other area would be the air intake in the front on Vettes specifically.

joe.p
05-15-2006, 06:14 PM
you need to cover all electrical components.I have used pastic bags tied off
also aluminum foil. The foil makes me nervous but many people do use it..

BILL
05-15-2006, 06:18 PM
you need to cover all electrical components.I have used pastic bags tied off
also aluminum foil. The foil makes me nervous but many people do use it..

Me too......the foil does hold shape, saran wraps an option also.