PDA

View Full Version : BEST smooth black trim restorer and best restoration method??

pointillistic_practitioner
05-07-2012, 11:28 PM
I inherited a '97 accord not too long ago, and the body side molding, and black trim on the bottom of the bumpers and doors is all white in circular motions from waxing. The b pillars are made of that annoying painted metal/almost rubbery painted black that's semi matte/semi gloss, and picks up all fingerprints...anyway, that's fading too. Wanted to know best way to clean (mineral spirits mr clean magic eraser, PB w/out the J? ;) & then restore... (forever black, black magic, solution finish...) Thanks!

05-07-2012, 11:29 PM
PS its not new residue, its been there for 5++ yrs.

05-07-2012, 11:30 PM
It may also be that the trim in some sections wasn't waxed over, but is just fading (ie bottom of doors)

tuscarora dave
05-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Try getting a bottle of wax/grease remover from the auto body section of any auto parts store or even wal-mart carries it. Use a soft brush like a fingernail brush or something like that and working it a few times then apply some Ultima Trim and Tire Guard to it once you get the wax out. It should look pretty good after that.

05-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Try getting a bottle of wax/grease remover from the auto body section of any auto parts store or even wal-mart carries it. Use a soft brush like a fingernail brush or something like that and working it a few times then apply some Ultima Trim and Tire Guard to it once you get the wax out. It should look pretty good after that.

thx for the tip!

06-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Update: couldn't find any wax remover at the places I went to, but I tried magic eraser and that worked pretty well! Looks brand new now!

CleanGene
06-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Another vote for Ultima's Trim & Tire Guard Plus. A little goes a long way.