PDA

View Full Version : In the market for a cheap, dependable steam cleaner

Pages : [1] 2 3

pointillistic_practitioner
05-07-2012, 11:21 PM
The dilemna: I would like to spend max $400 on a steam cleaner (more like 250 if possible). Summer is fast approaching, and with it, time for more car detailing! Using my Bissell LG + folex, while mostly effective, is too time-consuming and doesn't work for some things... like seatbelts! If I had the money, I'd buy a vx5000 AND a mytee lite :P, but for the amount of detailing I do and the money I make it's just not practical. So... my question...any of YOU have a steam cleaner you're not using anymore that you'd be willing to sell to a fellow AG forum member for a reduced price:D? I know it's a long shot but hey, can't hurt to ask. If not, what do you guys think of the vapamore mr-100 or something even a little cheaper like the mcculloch? Ideally, I'd like an hour of steam (I work very slowly & methodically) and would like it for everything from interior to door jambs to wheels, and even hard to reach engine areas. I know my expectations won't be met completely unless I can snag something great quality & used, but thats the deal.

tuscarora dave
05-07-2012, 11:24 PM
No such thing.

Cman8
05-07-2012, 11:31 PM
I bought the McCulloch from harbor freight once for like 80 bucks after coupons. Love it. Steam usually last me about 45 min to 1 hr no problem. Great budget steamer IMHO. I have done everything from my carpets to nasty cupholders, engine bay, and even my shower and tub. cleaned all of them no problem, and some carpets have been pretty nasty.

Tundra_10
05-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Check out ebay... there are some vapor steam models selling for a couple hundred off... they are new units. Still a little over your 400 budget but they are excellent units.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Agfan
05-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Harbor freight all the way.

tuscarora dave
05-07-2012, 11:49 PM
I bought the McCulloch from harbor freight once for like 80 bucks after coupons. Love it. Steam usually last me about 45 min to 1 hr no problem. Great budget steamer IMHO. I have done everything from my carpets to nasty cupholders, engine bay, and even my shower and tub. cleaned all of them no problem, and some carpets have been pretty nasty.
I tend to be a bit of a non believer in cheap tools that serve a specific need such as a steamer so I've never pulled the trigger on the Harbor Freight McColloch steamer though I almost have many times. How often do you use this steamer? Maybe I'll stand corrected if I pick one up??..I'm sure stranger things could happen.

darkstar752
05-08-2012, 12:04 AM
I picked up a ~2 year old VX5000 for 375 shipped, just to give you an idea of prices. It had a couple minor cosmetic defects also, but still runs very strong.

However, I believe I would get an extractor instead if I had to do it over again. For the steamer, most of the jobs it does can be done with chemicals and some Q-tips, however there are some jobs that it is very useful. But the extractor on the other hand, pulls of jobs only it can do, if that makes sense. Also, I never tried the McCullough, but would be interested too as the VX5000 has 65 PSI, and the MC is 58.

Bates Detailing
05-08-2012, 12:48 AM
I've got a brand new (used 5 times) extractor Ive been trying to get rid of on craigslist - but every hit has been a no go....... not down for selling it on here out of respect for AG but I can say if I don't get it sold in the next 2 weeks I will probably end up renting it out - anyone had experience with renting tools out? Its just sitting in the van collecting dust lol?!?!?

Tundra_10
05-08-2012, 01:07 AM
I've got a brand new (used 5 times) extractor Ive been trying to get rid of on craigslist - but every hit has been a no go....... not down for selling it on here out of respect for AG but I can say if I don't get it sold in the next 2 weeks I will probably end up renting it out - anyone had experience with renting tools out? Its just sitting in the van collecting dust lol?!?!?

I think your playing with fire renting out the unit. Unless you ask for a big enough deposit and run the unit thoroughly after each rental I can see bad things happening. If I were you, I would allow it to continue to get dusty. I am always getting rid of this or that because I never use the item. Sure enough a month or so down the road I am buying another because I now need it.

Bates Detailing
05-08-2012, 01:22 AM
I think your playing with fire renting out the unit. Unless you ask for a big enough deposit and run the unit thoroughly after each rental I can see bad things happening. If I were you, I would allow it to continue to get dusty. I am always getting rid of this or that because I never use the item. Sure enough a month or so down the road I am buying another because I now need it.

It is definitely a risk for sure - but you don't see it as making money instead of it sitting around getting dusty?!?!?! Im curious if the one year warranty is still in effect if renting the unit out - Id have to double check on that.

sahrcar
05-08-2012, 01:54 AM
plus one for the McCulloch. I used 1 for an entire year while operating my mobile detailing business and then it quit working on me. The house got runover a couple times and also the unit got flipped too several times all in the same month. Once it got battered a little, I guess I got a little too relaxed about proper handling when loading and unloading.

However, the company has a great trade in program. If your unit doesnt work they will send you 1 brand new in exchange. All you have to do first is cut the power cord of the defective unit and send in the picture showing this with its model number and then you get yourself a brand new one!

Like someone said above this little cheap unit is a true workhorse and Ive done everything from stubborn stains on tile, grout cleaning, wall paper removal, engine bays, and of course carpet and upholstery cleaning without any problems at all. Average work time is about 45 min. I got mine originally off of ebay for just $75 new in the box.

Webb
05-08-2012, 02:27 AM
I had the the McCulloch steam cleaner for 1 night,returned that POS the next day,the bad part was I had to go to Walmart to return it.Get something else?This POS would not keep the steam up for more than 30 seconds.

Tundra_10
05-08-2012, 03:13 AM
It is definitely a risk for sure - but you don't see it as making money instead of it sitting around getting dusty?!?!?! Im curious if the one year warranty is still in effect if renting the unit out - Id have to double check on that.

This is the way i look at it... I plan on renting my house once I find a better position with the company I am with. I know the house is going to get trashed and expect that any money I rent the house for I am going to have to dump back into the house when im done renting it and the economy gets to the point where I can sell it. People tend to not treat things well that is not theirs, sometimes they do not even treat their own things well. I think your going to end up spending money repairing the unit and break even or maybe loose money in the whole process. Not trying to be a negative nancy, but instead play the devils advocate.

slickooz
05-08-2012, 05:22 AM
I was looking at this before I purchased the VX5000. But there wasn't any reviews for it, so I spent the extra money and went with VX5000 to be safe.
????STX "MEGA-STEAM 4000?" STEAM CLEANER FLOOR TILE???? | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/250741712264?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_7213wt_984)

Bates Detailing
05-08-2012, 08:26 AM
This is the way i look at it... I plan on renting my house once I find a better position with the company I am with. I know the house is going to get trashed and expect that any money I rent the house for I am going to have to dump back into the house when im done renting it and the economy gets to the point where I can sell it. People tend to not treat things well that is not theirs, sometimes they do not even treat their own things well. I think your going to end up spending money repairing the unit and break even or maybe loose money in the whole process. Not trying to be a negative nancy, but instead play the devils advocate.

True - very true.... at least the house appreciates over time while the extractor will depreciate while getting beat up as well..... totally see your point here man :dblthumb2: