PDA

View Full Version : Not crazy about 6.5" pads

Newdetailer1
05-07-2012, 12:31 PM
I've always used the 5.5 LC CCS pads when do all my machine work and when I got my flex 3401 I decided to try the 6.5 pads when working on trucks and stuff. I couldn't believe the difference in "feel" when running the machine. Maybe I didn't have the pad charged up enough or something, but it just seemed to dry up more quickly. I know it wasn't the products cause when I went back to my 5.5's all was well. The products were optimum poly and menz PF.
Maybe I should give the 6.5's a try again because I have about 10 different pads that haven't been opened. Suggestions or do you feel the same?

BobbyG
05-07-2012, 12:53 PM
The most noticeable difference should be the amount of felt torque as the pad rotates. Everything else being equal, the only remaining variable is the surface area and friction.

You may have under primed the pad causing this condition.

Pads & Friction

The size or surface area does not directly affect the frictional force between two surfaces until downward force or pressure is applied. Reducing the pad size will only improve the mechanical efficiency of the machine.

The motor of your polisher produces some amount of power. The larger the pad surface area the harder the motor must work. Now, most will say "it's only 1 extra inch", but when it comes to surface area and friction your really talking about an additional 10 square inches. Now take a look at the difference between the 5 1/2", 6 1/2" and 7" pad...........Size does matter!

Surface Area - 5 1/2 pad = 23.75 inē
Surface Area - 6 1/2 pad = 33.18 inē
Surface Area - 7 pad = 38.484 inē

Newdetailer1
05-07-2012, 01:10 PM
The most noticeable difference should be the amount of felt torque as the pad rotates. Everything else being equal, the only remaining variable is the surface area and friction.

You may have under primed the pad causing this condition.

Pads & Friction

The size or surface area does not directly affect the frictional force between two surfaces until downward force or pressure is applied. Reducing the pad size will only improve the mechanical efficiency of the machine.

The motor of your polisher produces some amount of power. The larger the pad surface area the harder the motor must work. Now, most will say "it's only 1 extra inch", but when it comes to surface area and friction your really talking about an additional 10 square inches. Now take a look at the difference between the 5 1/2", 6 1/2" and 7" pad...........Size does matter!

Surface Area - 5 1/2 pad = 23.75 inē
Surface Area - 6 1/2 pad = 33.18 inē
Surface Area - 7 pad = 38.484 inē

Thats good info there sir!:xyxthumbs: I'm with you thinking I need to prep the pad a lil better and try again. I was just checking to see if anyone else felt the same way and did they correct it or just stay away from the pads. I know in the detailing world you should really stay with what you comfortable with.

feds27
05-07-2012, 01:28 PM
The Flex is a forced rotation so I would think the larger pad would offer more correction since the outer edge of the pad will be orbiting faster than the outer edge of a smaller pad.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-11-2012, 07:55 AM
I like using 6.5" pad way better on the 3401 than 5.5" pads.

Bunky
05-11-2012, 08:01 AM

I thought it was just me that had this opinion. I have not done enough side by side testing to figure out why but seems more controllable or something. I use 5.5-in pads more because I wanted smaller pads for tighter areas so gave up extra surface area to have more pads (more one size).

I like 6.5-in for applying lsps.

truckbutt
05-11-2012, 08:14 AM
:iagree: More surface area, better weight distribution, less chance of surface damage.

Mike Phillips
05-11-2012, 08:28 AM
The larger the pad the more important it is to hold the pads flat to the surface because if you hold the pads at any kind of angle to the surface you're going to feel the polisher want to "walk" in some direction.

One of the things I posted about the new 5" pads is they make using the Flex 3401 a lot easier. A lot easier. I let Tom Risk test them out when he stopped by Autogeek recently, here's what he said,

"They make using the Flex 3401 easier than any other pad"

Forum Member Tom Risk aka ShineTimeDetail visits Autogeek.net (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/49545-forum-member-tom-risk-aka-shinetimedetail-visits-autogeek-net.html)

Here's Tom using a 4.5" Hybrid Pad on the Flex 3401

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/TomRVisit01.jpg

So if you're not liking the 6.5" pads, when we get the 5" pads into inventory give them a try.

New 5" pads for 4" Backing Plate on Flex 3401 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/49549-new-4-5-pads-4-backing-plate-flex-3401-a.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1153/1965Plymouth009.jpg

:dblthumb2: