PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Polish?

Jomax
05-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Can't find it in the abrasive chart and was wondering where it would fall under? It says glaze on the bottle, does it just cover fine scratches or actually remove them?? Thanks

Gachrid
05-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Not positive but I think I remember reading that it has very minimal corrective ability. Even the ultimate compound is pretty light on correction I think. But I can't remember for sure.

snoby
05-07-2012, 12:08 PM
It's the consumer equivalent to Meguiars 205

Mustang81
05-07-2012, 12:19 PM
It's the consumer equivalent to Meguiars 205

I think this is a pretty good description. I don't think it has as much cut as 205, but it's meant to be used as the follow up to Ultimate Compound.

Jomax
05-07-2012, 01:13 PM
I think this is a pretty good description. I don't think it has as much cut as 205, but it's meant to be used as the follow up to Ultimate Compound.

So it should take out light swirl marks?

Mustang81
05-07-2012, 02:21 PM
So it should take out light swirl marks?

Hmmm. I haven't used it personally. Are you using a machine or by hand? I have used SwirlX (by hand) and have had some decent results with it. No where near as good as I get with the machine though.

TRex99
05-07-2012, 02:41 PM
I've used it. Hand applied, it seemed like more of a pure polish IMO, minimal cut if any although it easily took off minor water spots tho. Nice prep for your choice of LSP.
Machine applied I'd say you'd get a little more cut, probably enough to take out minor swirls.

RhetoricMixes
05-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Ive taken out minor swirls with it when used with my 7424 and a white LC pad. It finishes well but just remember to do a IPA wipedown or something similar as it has a LOT of oils in it that can hide your work.

Jomax
05-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Ive taken out minor swirls with it when used with my 7424 and a white LC pad. It finishes well but just remember to do a IPA wipedown or something similar as it has a LOT of oils in it that can hide your work.

Why would the bottle state that it makes the paint LSP ready?

andrew b
05-07-2012, 05:11 PM

Because they have marketing people.

I use Ultimate Compound all the time by hand to fix small areas or RIDS I spot when washing/drying, when I dont' want to get out the PC, pads, and other products. A little on the corner of an MF towel by hand will get out minor marring and heavier swirl-depth stuff, and (at least on my 2 cars) finishes well enough that I don't need a polish.

So, between the two to have on the shelf, I'd go with the Ultimate Compounds and not the Polish. But based on how the compound performs, I bet the polish would work well as an easy OTC final polish or jewelling polish with a DA and polishing pad.

dad07
05-07-2012, 05:17 PM

It will make lsp ready. Ultimate polish is a fine polish and is pad and dependent on performance.

Clean paint is happy paint thus we use a paint cleaner to prep the paint for lsp(ie: Ipa wipedown or what ever) this will ensure that your lsp will bond to the paint and not the oils that is in it.

Using IPA will also ensure that you have corrected what you wanted to correct instead of "filling in minor imperfections with oils" that will show up when you apply your LSP.

Dugdug
05-07-2012, 05:20 PM
It seems to me UP is slightly finer than 205. Sometimes I'll go from 105 to UP. Seems to work just fine.