PDA

View Full Version : First time correction with a Flex 3401 and M101

courtsider
05-07-2012, 11:56 AM
My journey here started like many others. I bought a Griots R/O, polish and pads. My GF has an 03 Audi with swirls, holo's and oxidation on the roof. I started with Polish 3 and it laughed at me. 2, not much better. 1 did a nice job and I thought I was happy. 75% of the oxidation was removed along with most of the swirls and halo's.

I found this place and realized I could do a lot better. I bought some yellow pads and 105 and took deep scratches out of my CX-9. I thought they were going to need touch up paint. I couldn't believe how 105 removed them.

After all the reading I wanted to get her roof as perfect as I could. I was able to acquire some M101, bought a Flex and MF pads Opt and Megs. I bought a lot foam pads recently so my screw up was I grabbed what I thought was a yellow pad, primed it with 101 put my 3 drops on and went to town. The pad was really flimsy and not like I remembered. I was doing a test spot and it cleaned up all that Griots polish 1 couldn't get. I looked at the pad package and it was a gold finishing pad! :) Hahaha I grabbed the proper yellow pad and with some work I was able to achieve a mirror shine with just 101. On the really bad spots I switched to the Opti MF pad. Cleaning it after every section. I followed with 205 and then finished with PO85RD on a black hybrid pad. Last step was Opti 2.0.

There are still some RIDS but it went from the worst panel on the car to the best. Right now I am taking a break from the hood. It has a lot of chips but it's going to get the same treatment. I have one section left of 101.

I ended up getting the small backing plate for the Griot's and use 4" pads for tight spots and also as a carpet brush. It is really nice to have two machines set up for quick switching.

The two machines handle very differently. I thought Griots had a lot of power. It also vibrates really bad. A million bee stings. :) Compared to the Flex there is a big difference. The Flex doesn't have that annoying vibration and feels more powerful. It can walk on you but once you get the hang of it, it's a pleasure to use. Even pressure and you can use the walking feature to get to where you want it to go. The Flex does get hot though. I am probably going to get the Flex rotary as her windshield is really bad too. I already have the Ceriglass.

Did want to mention I clayed and used Trix before polishing. Back out to the garage!