View Full Version : What are these scratches

ws6driver
05-07-2012, 10:11 AM
I have a porter cable
7424xp with
white, grey, blue ccs pads.
xmt 1-4 swirl removers
Meguires ultimate polish

I used the white pad with xmt ultra fine swirl remover. Is this normal?

ws6driver
05-07-2012, 10:16 AM
I have a porter cable
7424xp with
white, grey, blue ccs pads.
xmt 1-4 swirl removers
Meguires ultimate polish

I used the white pad with xmt ultra fine swirl remover. and meguires ultra polish on the blue pad. Is this normal?

Setec Astronomy
05-07-2012, 10:26 AM
So what are you saying, you had those swirls before, and were unable to take them out, or you didn't have them before, and you have them after polishing?

TimmyG
05-07-2012, 10:29 AM
So what are you saying, you had those swirls before, and were unable to take them out, or you didn't have them before, and you have them after polishing?

This.

If that didn't compound out with the UC, you may need a little more aggressive combo.

ws6driver
05-07-2012, 10:30 AM
To answer your question i had fine swirls and i thought i could polish them out. I guess what i am asking is. Do i have the correct pads for the job? Did i use the correct combination. I am assuming i did not because of the end result.

Setec Astronomy
05-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Which did you use first, the UP or the XMT 1? I'm not that familiar with the XMT products, but from the description, I would have used the UP first on a white pad, and then followed with the XMT 1 on the blue (or a white). Really I don't think you should need both.

As Timmy said perhaps you had deeper swirls that you partially removed (because your picture doesn't look that bad), and you need to have another go, or use something a little more aggressive and then dial back to one of the products you already used to finish up.

Where are you located?

ws6driver
05-07-2012, 10:40 AM
I used the XMT 1 on the white pad and followed it up with UP on blue pad. This looks like surface scratches and if XMT 1 could have gotten them out i really dont know what i am doing..... I live in East TN. Maybe i am rushing it but i just dont have the pad and swirl combo down yet.

TimmyG
05-07-2012, 10:51 AM
I used the XMT 1 on the white pad and followed it up with UP on blue pad. This looks like surface scratches and if XMT 1 could have gotten them out i really dont know what i am doing..... I live in East TN. Maybe i am rushing it but i just dont have the pad and swirl combo down yet.
I am also not very familiar with the XMT lineup but it looks like you achieved some paint correction with your previous attempt but didn't get the results you were looking for. I'd do another test spot starting with a white pad and XMT1 (I think that is the lowest cut, right?) then start working your way up if you're not getting the correction you want.

Nice WS6! I've got one myself! :buffing:

ws6driver
05-07-2012, 11:00 AM
I am also not very familiar with the XMT lineup but it sounds like you used the incorrect pad with the Ultimate Compound. I would have started with the UC+white pad on my test spot, then moved up to an orange pad if I wasn't getting the correction I was aiming for.

Nice WS6! I've got one myself! :buffing:

the answer maybe be i do not have the correct pads. I have white, black and blue ones. I cant test all the products out because i dont have enough pads to determine what will work on my test spots. So that is my issue? Thank you for the compliment it is actually a 2000 Trans am. With a WSQ hood.

TimmyG
05-07-2012, 11:07 AM
the answer maybe be i do not have the correct pads. I have white, black and blue ones. I cant test all the products out because i dont have enough pads to determine what will work on my test spots. So that is my issue? Thank you for the compliment it is actually a 2000 Trans am. With a WSQ hood.

I have zero experience with the CCS pads unfortunately. I will say, I own a bunch of LC 5.5" Flat pads that always do well on my WS6. I also use some 3" and 4" LC HT pads for the many curves on the car. Comes out fantastic everytime!

Nice car!

BobbyG
05-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Pinnacle XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover #1

Is the finest in their lineup. This combined with a white or gray will produce nearly zero results regarding the swirls and scratches in the photo.

Pinnacle XMT Intermediate Swirl Remover #3.

I would begin with this using an Orange pad. This combination will most likely yield the results you're looking for then finish up the the combination above once you're satisfied.

Pad usage

Orange Light Cutting Foam - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing Foam - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Green Polishing/Finishing Foam - Use this foam to apply one-step cleaner waxes. It is a balance of polishing and finishing that is perfect for all-in-one product application.

Gray Finishing 6.5 inch Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing Foam – Pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

Here's some great information that will help you if you need it.

Sectional Pass With a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/24074-show-car-garage-video-how-do-section-pass-when-machine-polishing-da-polisher.html)
Removing Swirls (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html)
How to prime a foam pad when using a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html)

Jomax
05-07-2012, 11:49 AM
You could try UP on the white pad?

mamut
05-07-2012, 07:22 PM
check to see if your pads are totally clean. the xmt1 is too fine of a polish to level those swirls out. choose #2 or #3 to level the paint and then #1 to polish to a high gloss

bmwgalore
05-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Did you CLAY the car before polishing? Looks like you're smearing dirt particles against the paint.

ws6driver
05-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Pinnacle XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover #1

Is the finest in their lineup. This combined with a white or gray will produce nearly zero results regarding the swirls and scratches in the photo.

Pinnacle XMT Intermediate Swirl Remover #3.

I would begin with this using an Orange pad. This combination will most likely yield the results you're looking for then finish up the the combination above once you're satisfied.

Pad usage

Orange Light Cutting Foam - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing Foam - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Green Polishing/Finishing Foam - Use this foam to apply one-step cleaner waxes. It is a balance of polishing and finishing that is perfect for all-in-one product application.

Gray Finishing 6.5 inch Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing Foam – Pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

Here's some great information that will help you if you need it.

Sectional Pass With a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/24074-show-car-garage-video-how-do-section-pass-when-machine-polishing-da-polisher.html)
Removing Swirls (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html)
How to prime a foam pad when using a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html)

Thank you i just received new 5.5 inch ccs pads and with
now have the orange pad described i will try the replied ways.

check to see if your pads are totally clean. the xmt1 is too fine of a polish to level those swirls out. choose #2 or #3 to level the paint and then #1 to polish to a high gloss

The pads were never used. Thank you for the reply.

Did you CLAY the car before polishing? Looks like you're smearing dirt particles against the paint.

The car has been clayed before the attempt of polishing.