PDA

View Full Version : Which is better for Leather ?

Pages : [1] 2

Largebore
05-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Is using a Leather Cleaner followed up with a Leather Conditioner better than using a Leather Cleaner Combo product?

atoy
05-07-2012, 09:12 AM
I tried optimum protectant plus and leather master combo. I prefer the opp. Will be trying leatherique pristine clean soon.

gatoman39
05-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Depends... If the leather is in a sorry state or has been neglected it's worth using a dedicated cleaner first, then a conditioner. If you are on top of it and all your car needs is routine maintenance on already well maintained car a AIO leather cleaner and conditioner is more than adequate.

TimmyG
05-07-2012, 10:48 AM
I've heard that "coated" leather seats (which 95% of the cars we drive around have) are only in need of a cleaning agent. I've also been told that a conditioning step on such "coated" leather seating would be essentially pointless since the conditioner wouldn't be able to penetrate the leather.

I could use some clarification on this topic as well.

Largebore
05-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Depends... If the leather is in a sorry state or has been neglected it's worth using a dedicated cleaner first, then a conditioner. If you are on top of it and all your car needs is routine maintenance on already well maintained car a AIO leather cleaner and conditioner is more than adequate.

I have both dedicated and AIO and typically reach for the dedicated product for annual clean up and then use AIO thorought the year unless I get some unusual dirt etc. But I do so not from knowledge just because it seems right.

So my questions are still;
Will a dedicated cleaner do a more effective job of cleaning than the AIO product ?
Will a dedicated conditioner do a better job than the AIO product ?

Waxy
05-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Mild soap & water is all you need to clean automotive leather seating surfaces.

gatoman39
05-07-2012, 11:21 AM
I've heard that "coated" leather seats (which 95% of the cars we drive around have) are only in need of a cleaning agent. I've also been told that a conditioning step on such "coated" leather seating would be essentially pointless since the conditioner wouldn't be able to penetrate the leather.

I could use some clarification on this topic as well.
Read here, this will explain it much better than I can...
Leather Upholstery Type Surface Identification (http://togwt1980.blogspot.com/2010/09/leather-upholstery-type-surface.html)

So my questions are still;
Will a dedicated cleaner do a more effective job of cleaning than the AIO product ?
Will a dedicated conditioner do a better job than the AIO product ?

The answer to your questions is yes. Products with specific uses are better than AIO, AIO are always a compromise in return for ease of use. Jack of all trades master of none.

CEE DOG
05-07-2012, 11:31 AM
For finished leather I would recomend you vacuum, cleanse the seat of all dirt, salt, and sweat, and then seal with UIGP so it can be easily cleaned moving forward.

Largebore
05-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Read here, this will explain it much better than I can...
Leather Upholstery Type Surface Identification (http://togwt1980.blogspot.com/2010/09/leather-upholstery-type-surface.html)

The answer to your questions is yes. Products with specific uses are better than AIO, AIO are always a compromise in return for ease of use. Jack of all trades master of none.

Gracias

215Detailing
05-07-2012, 12:52 PM
would Optimum Power Clean & a follow up with Optimum Protectant plus Be a good combo?

TimmyG
05-07-2012, 12:58 PM
I've been using leatherique pristine clean for months with no issues whatsoever. It outperforms EVERY other leather treatment product I've ever used hands down.

bmwgalore
05-07-2012, 01:09 PM
There are currently four types of automotive leather:

ANILINE (Unfinished): Found in very expensive cars (300k plus), very soft to touch and basicaly flawless. It will absorb water. Stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Expensive.

Alcantara: Found in expensive sports cars (100k plus), looks like suede. Will require very specific care and products.

Semi-Aniline/finished: the second most comom type on cars. Has a protective coat that offers a nice supple fell and protects at the same time, but it also causes the seat to get hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Won't absorb water (drop some water onto the seat to test it). Very few products will condition it properly. Will require some scrubing to remove all the gunk and body oils.

Pigmented: The cheapest one. Found in american cars, this leather has a (very) strong coat to hide the natural defects (it's cheap, remember?), therefore it won't absorb water/conditioner at all. Clean it by giving a little scrubing. Don't bother with conditioners, because it won't work.

In theory, Connolly and Leatherique are the best brands you could buy, BUT different types of leather require different products (alcantara being the most annoying to work with).

AutowerxDetailing
05-07-2012, 01:27 PM
How do you all feel about Lexol? (serious question)

TimmyG
05-07-2012, 01:57 PM
How do you all feel about Lexol? (serious question)
One of the better OTC products, but not nearly on the same planet as leatherique.

RMM
05-08-2012, 01:10 PM
In theory, Connolly and Leatherique are the best brands you could buy, BUT different types of leather require different products (alcantara being the most annoying to work with).

Alcantara is a PITA: my wife's car has it and I pray for the seats never to get a stain. There are almost no products available for cleaning it (Swissvax has one).

For leather, the Leatherique combo is expensive but the best IMO.