PDA

View Full Version : Detail Spray

brian45acp
05-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Do you guys use detail spray to wipe down the car if there is just a light dust on the paint? When I say light I mean after a fresh detail and drove the car once so there is just some stuff that settled on the paint. This is a garaged truck so no morning dew to stick the dust to the paint or anything like that.

On my black truck I am just scared that wiping it down will put scratches back into the CC. I did a test panel and had good success with my method. What I did was used my California Dust mop to lightly dance the strings on the paint and grab any loose dust. After I used diluted car wash and water in a spray bottle on my towel to break up some sort of oily stuff that just wanted to smear when I hit it with detail spray. Its hard to describe but its pretty much all over the paint and windows so it was just something in the air. I am thinking it was the start of the marine layer coming in last night. After doing this it seemed to break that up and the detail spray worked much better and didnt leave smears.

Some advice is appreciated because my options are to carefully continue or to leave the paint alone as much as possible and just wash the truck like normal here and there. I an trying to preserve my hard work which was a 3 day detail but I dont want to be OCD and keep wiping the paint until I get a scratch back either.

okleyguy
05-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Throw the duster in the garbage. :doh::doh::doh:

alko
05-07-2012, 08:33 AM
The only time I'll use a QD is to remove bird droppings per Mike Phillip's proper method. Other than that I don't use a QD. I too am paranoid that I'll induce swirls into my soft Acura/Honda paint. I stick to foaming and traditional washes weekly.

swanicyouth
05-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Sometimes, if it's very light. I found Opti Clean is just awesome for this, as it's intended for this. It thick and glossy and does a perfect job of doing what your describing. I just got some and wanted to see what it could do. I did a "dry" wash on my Pathfinder (it was pretty dirty) and it came out great. I wouldn't do it again with all that dirt, but one time was OK, as the paint doesn't scratch easy. Only negative about OC is it smells horrible to me, like a janitors closet mixed with some vomit. I also picked up the Ultima Waterless Wash product, haven't used it yet, but I hear it's awesome for this. After using OC, I'll never buy detail spray again. It's also a lot cheaper, as $15.99 makes 32 oz x 4.

TroyScherer
05-07-2012, 08:54 AM
My fav QD in my opinion is FK425. I usually only use it when drying a car or when ther is very light, light dust. If you are trying to wipe 3-4 days of dust a dirt I would move to a waterless wash like UWWP+.

brian45acp
05-07-2012, 09:25 AM
So then just let it get dusty then wash like normal as needed is best?

I figure the less I touch the paint the better so daily wipe downs are likely not a good idea. I will just go wash the truck because its becoming to labor intensive trying to remove what ever got on the paint. I keep smearing it around and am very worried about scratches again.

What is wrong with the California Duster? it works great. I had the truck out of the garage to detail my other car and just from sitting out front there was dust and pollen on the paint. The CD took it right off and left it untouched and looking perfect again.

Gachrid
05-07-2012, 09:38 AM
So you guys say its necessary to use a waterless wash in between washes if the car is dusty and not any kind of detailer?

alko
05-07-2012, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't say its "necessary," its entirely up to detailer. I have come to the conclusion that I do not prefer rinseless washes. I believe, from doing rinseless washes, I have very fine scratches in my car. I have a black 2010 Acura TSX and it has VERY soft paint. I am VERY careful when doing rinseless washes, and no matter how careful and I was with it, I ended up inducing fine scratches in the paint. They're like swirls, but in straight lines because everything I do, as far as touching the paint, I do in straight lines.

BobbyG
05-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Any time something physically comes in contact with the finish it "can" impart microscopic defects.

Dust / pollen under high magnification appear to be granular or sand like. These graduals are robust enough to leave scratches behind thus the main reason I'm not a fan of waterless washes or detail sprays.

Solutions that dissolve and float away surface contaminates are preferred as they suspend these particles allowing them to be rinsed harmlessly from the finish.

Reality vs. Fantasy

Now, common sense should come into play here because other than "Show Quality" cars we're talking about daily drivers. While we all strive to achieve perfection on our every day cars and trucks it's nearly impossible to keep microscopic damage from happening.

Sudsing the entire surface allowing it to dissolve and suspend these surface contaminates then rinsing is the best way to remove them. A leaf blower or suitable substitute to remove water droplets without touching the finish will keep water spots from appearing and also make the finish ready for a quick application of a detail spray or spray car wax..

KBsToy
05-07-2012, 10:15 AM
:iagree:
My fav QD in my opinion is FK425. I usually only use it when drying a car or when ther is very light, light dust. If you are trying to wipe 3-4 days of dust a dirt I would move to a waterless wash like UWWP+.

TimmyG
05-07-2012, 10:33 AM
I use ONR for maintenance washes and it works fantastic for me. I'd look into that route.

TroyScherer
05-07-2012, 10:48 AM
So you guys say its necessary to use a waterless wash in between washes if the car is dusty and not any kind of detailer?

Is is necessary? No. But I prefer to use a method that has the least chance of marring if cleaning between washes.

I prefer to wait and to do an ONR wash or a full 2BM wash. Lets be honest; the less we touch the paint the less chance for scratching and marring.

I also dry with a MasterBlaster.

brian45acp
05-07-2012, 11:37 AM
So detail spray clean paint to perk up the shine is what I understand to be a better method. The paint is mostly clean now since I drove it once so I found a method to remove what little dust is on it but after this it will be a proper wash from now on.

I do like the California duster though it safely removes dust with pressure applied to the paint.

wysiwyg
05-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I really like UWWP for cleaning when the vehicle is not really dirty i.e. dust, pollen, etc. I use ONR when the vehicle is dirtier. A traditional wash is not an option in my area when water restrictions are in place (such as the case currently). If the vehicle is really dirty, I'll take it to self service wash first, then follow up with ONR.

I used to use FK425, but I've been using OCW in lieu of FK425. I do not use OCW without doing some kind of wash first. I am really starting to like OCW - it leaves a nice gloss and slick surface. My days of using a traditional wax maybe over.