PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Buffing

2001MineralGrayStang
03-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Alright I'm getting a PC and probably going with the edge pads for it. I'm debating between SSR or XMT but I'm not sure how aggressive I need to go. My car looks really good in natural light, almost no visible swirls. But under artificial light it's pretty easy to see them, and the reflections are a little distorted. What would be a good pad/polish combination to start with? I'm thinking after polishing I'll use XMT glaze, wolfgang sealant (2 coats), and souveran over top of that (2 coats). Also this is on a Mineral Gray 2001 Mustang GT. Should I get the paste or the liquid wax? And one more question, my dad has a 2003 Dodge Ram that's white and the swirls on that are readily visible even in natural sunlight. It also has some scuffs and scratches that I'd really like to fix for him. What would be a good starting point on that? I realize it's hard to say without seeing it all but some idea for me is better than none. Also on both I really want them to have the best shine, "pop", and glow as possible.

bambo2888
03-20-2007, 10:02 PM
I will suggest XMT3 with an orange pad for your particular application. You state that there are no major scratches or deep swirls, so I don't think XMT4 will be need, nor a yellow pad. With this combo, you should be able to get down to LSP ready, but I will alos suggest you get XMT1 and a white pad to buff out any micromarring that is induced by the more aggressive compound you will have just used.

For glazes, keep this in mind, many already have some carnauba in it. This means that you will not be able to top it with the Wolfgang Deep Gloss sealant. The carnauba will prevent any bonding with any other products except more carnauba, as in Souveran. If you want to follow the glaze with the WG Sealant, which I highly suggest and I use as well, go with the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. This glaze has the same protection and finishing properties, but it doesn't have any carnauba.

At this point, you can continue as you want and as I would also suggest, you can top the glaze with the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and finally the Souveran.

These steps will yield you some of the best results. Good luck. Post up some pictures!!