PDA

View Full Version : Older cars without clearcoat

CLipster
05-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Here is my situation,

I was asked to polish some older cars, that I am not sure have clear coats or not. I don't know that I will need to concentrate on correction. I think my main focus will be polishing unless someone can tell me otherwise.

My plan I think will be:

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. AIO cleaner- this can be expanded on if someone has more experience.
4. Sealant-power lock is what I like
5 wax or another sealant-845

This is what i am thinking, I am just not sure on what product to use for non-clear coat paint and if this right plan of attack.

Feel free to provide any experience that might help.

The cars that I might be working on would be a 57 chevy and a 68-69 chevy camaro.

Thanks in advance.

joenok
05-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Mg#83 is great on SS paint, in my opinion. Itīs not an AIO, a little more time though, and you have a proper wax on top!

BobbyG
05-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Here's a nice article Mike Phillips did on single stage paints....:props:

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html)

Zack01GC
05-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Don't be afraid, I've had good luck using the same steps that I use on clearcoat as with single stage. Just plan on your pads turning whatever color the car is painted.

CLipster
05-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Here's a nice article Mike Phillips did on single stage paints....:props:

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html)

Bobby,

I did skim, over this article and plan to read it all the way through, but that first step, can one do that with the DA or not?

i can get my hands on Megs 7 and that looks doable.

thanks