PDA

View Full Version : What is your Elephant in the room issue?

hondacare
05-06-2012, 09:46 AM
This is my Elephant in the room issue. My headliner is starting to detach itself in the corner of my roof. Now in the past I owned a 1978 Bruick Skylark and it was a dropping mess with the headliner. I can't remember what I did with it, I think I got some tacks back in the day to hold it up. But I need to address this before it starts to spread. Now I need to know what can I do about it. I was thinking about some spray adhesive. But would that be a temporary fix? I need more of a permanent thing, fix it and forget it.

Now that I am paying attention to it, what can I safely clean my headliner with?

Sent from my Android using AG Online

dennis hiip
05-06-2012, 10:46 AM
I now notice on my Porsche Carrera that I purchased last year has had the front bumper repainted and it doesn't match perfectly. It's very subtle. Nobody notices but me and it bugs me to the point of wondering if I should have the bumper repainted. But I think that maybe nobody could do it better.

ScottB
05-06-2012, 12:08 PM
This is my Elephant in the room issue. My headliner is starting to detach itself in the corner of my roof. Now in the past I owned a 1978 Bruick Skylark and it was a dropping mess with the headliner. I can't remember what I did with it, I think I got some tacks back in the day to hold it up. But I need to address this before it starts to spread. Now I need to know what can I do about it. I was thinking about some spray adhesive. But would that be a temporary fix? I need more of a permanent thing, fix it and forget it.

Now that I am paying attention to it, what can I safely clean my headliner with?

Sent from my Android using AG Online

contact a local upholstery shop you will find the tools needed to fix or replace headliner and usually quite inexpensive

timaishu
05-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Ugh. I guess I will use this thread to rant about my car.

Before autogeek, I bought my altima. My mechanic said that the front bumper was repainted because one headlight was newer than the other, I thought "Well, it looks good to me and now I have a new bumper!" Bought the car.

Two years later, I realize the front bumper paintjob is garbage, paint match isn't right. Also the rear bumper is a repaint. The clear is peeling at the seams and its oxidizing on the bottom. Both have visible dents in the plastic where I assume the initial damage is.

Also, the clear on my roof is failing, and I just noticed on my hood, it might be as well.

The Count
05-06-2012, 12:25 PM
My friends used to do that just use taks and push it up they were all over and it was still droopy haha it was funny.

And if your gonna spray it Im a carpenter and when we put pad down on cocrete floor we use spray tak

And to the dude with the porshe stop braging about your porshe haha and you should just repaint the whole car so it will match

swanicyouth
05-06-2012, 01:03 PM
On my 08 BMW it's clear coat failure on the M Parallel wheels. I spent a small fortune to buy this 08 M Roadster with low miles from a BMW dealer (40k). I overspent because I wanted low mileage, BMWs CPO warranty, and I wanted to purchase from the most reputable people possible. The wheels were fine when I got the car. I proceeded to only wash them with BMW brand car wash soap, as I was that paranoid about it. Don't you know, about 4 months later, the clear started coming off. I went back to the dealer, and they did a fine looking rattle can style (non powder coat) repaint by "there guy". One month later, clear coat is peeling again. Car had less than 20k on it after re-spray of wheels. The manager said it was a one and done when did it, so I guess too bad for me. I've had a few BMWs, and every one has suffered this issue to some extent. Not too mention, the wheel finish is just piss-poor. You can see spots where the factory completely missed with paint inside the spoke(s). So now, it's going to cost me close to $900.00 to have these wheels fixed in what I believe is the correct way, having The Wheel Collision Center in Bethlehem, PA powder coat them tw factory "bright silver". I like the factory wheels look and color, so I'm not looking to replace the wheels with aftermarket ones. The cost of the re-spray is about 60% of what just getting new BMW wheels cost, and the new wheels may just have the same issue. I can't figure out what caused(s) this, and you really have to look close to see my two-tone silver wheels. The only thing I can think of is pressure washing them with water caused it. I did spray the heck out of them, but with water only. I guess once I get them repaired, I won't do that. Feedback or comments on this issue are welcome!

HotRodJoe
05-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Orange peel.

Sealant
05-06-2012, 02:43 PM
I now notice on my Porsche Carrera that I purchased last year has had the front bumper repainted and it doesn't match perfectly. It's very subtle. Nobody notices but me and it bugs me to the point of wondering if I should have the bumper repainted. But I think that maybe nobody could do it better.

paint it after it goes to hell, not before

Mobile detail
05-06-2012, 03:23 PM
My mother in law

Capa1970
05-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Water spots on the hood of my silver Lexus GS400. I tried a flat orange 5 1/2 pad with Ultimate Compound. Then I tried Optimum's mf cutting discs with D300---nada. I am very disappointed. Admittedly, a couple I can kind of feel with my finger but most I can't. Any suggestions appreciated.