PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Wiper Arm Painting

hondacare
05-06-2012, 12:12 AM
I looked around on the forum and found nothing on this topic. But I was wanting to give a little attention to my wiper arms. They are dull and on one the black paint has come off in a section. My concern is that we pay alot of attention to the shine and protection of the paint(which is important), but non to the lone visible windshield wiper arms. I know that since you read this thread you will take a second glance at them.

But my question is what type of paint do you guys think will adhere better to it. I think taking the arm off the car is better due to overspray. But if anybody have done this please advise.

Agfan
05-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Semigloss black paint that is made for metal paint. They sell it at any auto parts store. Make sure you wipe down the wiper with paint thinner and make sure it's completely clean before spraying it. And 3 light coats should do it.

longdx
05-06-2012, 05:07 AM
Agreed, semigloss black is the way to go.

opie_7afe
05-06-2012, 12:03 PM
i painted mine but need to repaint them, some tips i can offer, do not use the cheapest of the cheap clearcoat, it just peels off even if prepped properly. i did mine with matte black then clearcoated them and looked awesome for a while, will redo them soon, some cars are not good to have glossy wiper arms as they will blind you, the location of mine i dont need to worry about it...as with anything painting its all in the prep work and quality of materials. if you have an aircompressor and a "blow gun" make yourself a soda blaster and use that to clean up the wiper arms, will make a nice surface for paint to adhere to and wont need to sand!

ScottB
05-06-2012, 12:10 PM
I use sealant on mine religiously like all painted trim.

Driwash
05-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Try plasti-dip spray on rubber coating, just did the wife's 2008 Liberty and the ones on my C-5 Corvette. Five coats and it looks like new. When the color fads after a year just peel it off and respray.

Tom

BorisC
05-06-2012, 12:15 PM
I did both my cars w/ Plasti-Dip. Holding up well so far.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=302&pictureid=1874

Jossy92
05-06-2012, 01:30 PM
I have an 88 Honda and most of the powder coat is completely gone from the arms.

I have been looking at a product that goes on like water, is black, self-leveling and sets up like a ceramic.

Can be used as a base coat. [ It's not uv resistant.]

Since it is self leveling, I figured I could rough up the wiper arms and still have a smooth durable substrate which is the same color as the topcoat.

Just an idea, this is more of a question than an answer I guess.

Heard of POR-15 ????

davidc
05-06-2012, 01:41 PM
I would look around for this
SEM Original Satain Black Trim Paint (http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/aerolos-wheel-paints-and-primers/trim-paint/sem-original-black-trim-paint-39143-39144.html)

I have had very good luck with Sem coatings

Dave

davidc
05-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks for giving me some thing to polish today. After reading this post I was in the garage and the first thing I looked at was the wiper arms. Out comes the DG 601 and 105. I feel better now.

Dave

bigez
05-06-2012, 06:51 PM
I used high temperature barbeque-black paint that I got at wal-mart. Did the trick. On a side note, I sprayed my muffler with this as well. Looks much better since it was a brownish color before......ha.

SON1C
05-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Very simple and inexpensive to fix

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/Elias101a/24ac195a.jpg

One can of plastidip will be more than enough /thread

ziggo99
05-06-2012, 09:25 PM
I like that...I might have to do that to mine.