PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Opticoat Question-Flash?

RandyD
05-05-2012, 03:26 PM
I am getting a new car this week and plan on using Opticoat. I have watched video's on how to apply and they are always saying that they watch for it to "Flash" or "Flash off". What do they mean by that?

Thanks

BobbyG
05-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Randy,

It means that the solvents evaporate allowing it to dry...

RandyD
05-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks Bobby

timaishu
05-05-2012, 03:52 PM
What Bobby said.

Its kinda like cleaning something with alcohol, and you can see it evaporate off.

Chris Thomas
05-05-2012, 09:51 PM
The protective product is delivered to the paint disolved in a solvent. As air and heat are exposed the solvent will "flash" or evaporate to clear. During this process you may see some rainbow colors in some areas, while others go completely clear. The areas where you see streaks, rainbows, or blurs need to be wiped away with a microfiber or evened out with the applicator before they dry. Those are areas where the coating was applied too heavy and will dry looking like a smear if not buffed away. We have also called these areas "high spots" because they will not self level and need to be "knocked down".

Even if you find a high spot later, you can easily fix in by hand with a applicator and some Poli Seal, GPS, or Finish Polish. I got some overspray on a Honda Oddyssey yesterday from my sprayer method of application and had to use GPS and a Cyclo white pad. It came off very easily by hand in just a couple of passes. The coating will not sully harden for over a month, so it's pretty easy to work with until then.

Another thing I would recommend is starting with a 12 x 12 or 18 x 18 in section instead of trying to coat a whole panel at one time. This will allow you to be comfortable with the application and see how fast it flashes (heat, wind, and humidity all play a role in how large a section you can do well) as well as how much you need to use in order not to get a high spot. Once you get the amount and coverage down, you can do as large an area as your environment will allow I never really do over half a hood at a time, personally. You can use up-down, side to side, or even circles to apply...the idea is to get a thin, even coat. The method is your choice and neither has an advantage. If you feel like you may loose your place doing small sections, you can use tape or a folded towel (horizontal surfaces) to make an imaginary line to guide you.

Let me know if you have any other concerns before your application and we'll work thru them.

ScottB
05-06-2012, 08:45 AM
As Chris and Bobby offered, the sealant is initially a little bit darker looking (perhaps wet is a better word to use) and a bit slicker feeling. If you look at it off angle you have see almost a rainbow effect as it flashes. Once flashed any over application spots have a bit of a haze or darker look and you simply buff the area with a MF towel. The key is a light uniform application, but overapplication is easily repaired too.

RandyD
05-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Thank you everyone for your help. Looking forward to using it later this week.

kantonburg
02-05-2014, 09:02 PM
I know this is a big bump, but I was looking for clarity on this issue and found this thread.

First off Randy did you apply your coating?

My follow up question. When removing the rainbow effect or high spots how do you know you're not removing the actual coating when you're buffing?