PDA

View Full Version : Business Cards Under Wipers?

Pages : [1] 2

AutowerxDetailing
05-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Okay, so I would like some feedback on something from as many people as possible.

I see cars pretty much everywhere I go that are just trashed (siwrls, faded trim, filthy wheels, etc.) and I almost feel bad for the car because it's treated so poorly and really needs a proper detail. I've often thought about leaving one of my business cards under the windshield wiper with a personal note saying something like "we can restore your faded trim" or something like that but then I start thinking that the owners would take offense like I'm making fun of their car or something.

I typically hate flyers left under my windshield wiper but that's generally because they are completely pointless like a generic religious message or some sort of sale to a store I don't even go to. I am talking about something much more personal like a note written directly to the owner of the car.

So what do you all think? Have any of you done anything like this with any type of success? Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

mswerb
05-05-2012, 01:32 PM
I have passed out my business cards at gas stations, but have never left them on the vehicle. Usually if I see someone attempting to wipe of their car I will approach them with a card.

Flash Gordon
05-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Okay, so I would like some feedback on something from as many people as possible.

I see cars pretty much everywhere I go that are just trashed (siwrls, faded trim, filthy wheels, etc.) and I almost feel bad for the car because it's treated so poorly and really needs a proper detail. I've often thought about leaving one of my business cards under the windshield wiper with a personal note saying something like "we can restore your faded trim" or something like that but then I start thinking that the owners would take offense like I'm making fun of their car or something.

I typically hate flyers left under my windshield wiper but that's generally because they are completely pointless like a generic religious message or some sort of sale to a store I don't even go to. I am talking about something much more personal like a note written directly to the owner of the car.

So what do you all think? Have any of you done anything like this with any type of success? Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

If someone left a hand written note on my windshield, and I didn't know them, I would consider it suspicous behavior. I would keep your info should something weird happen, but definitly wouldn't call you to invite to my house

If you're going to do anything slide a card on the drivers side window. I don't like ppl messing with my windshield arms. That pisses me off everytime

Belicoso
05-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Filthy cars are usually a sign that the owner does not care about the finish.
Why bother selling to someone who is not interested?

May I suggest targeting cars that are clean and show the swirls left by automated car washes, with a note saying that you notice their appreciation for the cars appearance and the you can discuss ways to bring the car to a higher standard. - that way you are talking to customers who will appreciate and pay for your services.

Rsurfer
05-05-2012, 02:05 PM
If you're going to do anything slide a card on the drivers side window. I don't like ppl messing with my windshield arms. That pisses me off everytimeFlash my man, you are back. Had a detailer in my area do just that. Lady took her MB to the shop because her window wouldn't work. Guess what, the guys card slid down and jammed the window mech. Guess who got the bill.

Flash Gordon
05-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Flash my man, you are back. Had a detailer in my area do just that. Lady took her MB to the shop because her window wouldn't work. Guess what, the guys card slid down and jammed the window mech. Guess who got the bill.

Some jackass broke my Godfather's windshield arm putting a yard work flyer on it. Stripped the gears right out of it...

Thanks!

AutowerxDetailing
05-05-2012, 02:19 PM
This is all great feedback. I have never left a card on someone's car just because I have always hated people leaving crap on my car. I never even thought about potential damage, etc.

Denver
05-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Filthy cars are usually a sign that the owner does not care about the finish.
Why bother selling to someone who is not interested?

May I suggest targeting cars that are clean and show the swirls left by automated car washes, with a note saying that you notice their appreciation for the cars appearance and the you can discuss ways to bring the car to a higher standard. - that way you are talking to customers who will appreciate and pay for your services.

I would suspect this is the best approach. Sell to those that already care.

As backwards as it appears at first glance, you might get a few buys from people with very poor condition cars but, I suspect a person who already attempts to keep their car in good condition is a stronger prospect.

They're more likely to read your advert, be suitably intrigued by what they're not able to do themselves and appreciate the additional improvements beyond their skill level. they might even appreciate the chance to hand the hard and complex work to someone else every 6 months, which in turn gives them a much nicer car to wash themselves for the rest of the year.

I'm not saying its a slam-dunk, they probably already think they do a great job but, the advert is a less of a "cold sale" than some owner who doesn't care at at all.

BostonDetails
05-05-2012, 02:43 PM
I leave my card under wipers all the time. Have gotten a few jobs from it but no complaints.

lokerola
05-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Welcome back Flash!

Autowerx - I HATE it when someone puts a card/flyer on my car. That means someone leaned on or touched my car. It just pisses me off. I wouldn't recommend it. Just my .02cents.

habeba86
05-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Welcome back Flash!

Autowerx - I HATE it when someone puts a card/flyer on my car. That means someone leaned on or touched my car. It just pisses me off. I wouldn't recommend it. Just my .02cents.

I agree with this! But if you do it enough, chances are you might get a tiny bit of business... Maybe write a quick tiny message as to why you put the card on there? Like everyone here, I go to the car care section of any store im in the has it and I try and strike up conversations with people that look perplexed or really lookin around. I dont tell them I detail till I get into a conversation with them and sometimes get business that way :)

BostonDetails
05-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Welcome back Flash!

We are all detailers in one form or another so our take on all things cars might be a little different than you average joe.

Rsurfer
05-05-2012, 03:08 PM
I leave my card under wipers all the time. Have gotten a few jobs from it but no complaints.It only takes one yo yo to say that you broke his wiper.

iceman978
05-06-2012, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't recommend it. I can't stand it when I find something under my windshield wiper or in my door jam. I have to agree that it's best to let those who care about their cars find you. Just my $0.02.....

WindyCity
05-06-2012, 10:52 AM

Obviously they dont care about their car so my opinion is you are wasting your time. Besides 99.9999% of people hate it when people leave stuff on their car, usually it get thrown on the ground!