PDA

View Full Version : Holograms part 2?

Pray4snow78
05-04-2012, 09:01 PM
I have a 97 528 dark blue with a decent amount of oxidation and light scratches. I start by claying after washing, obviously!. I only have 3M perfect 3 step. I already bought it so thats what im stuck with. Im not sure which step left the holograms on my truck, so should i start with the ultrafine polish first and go from there? Instead of starting with rubbing compound

FUNX650
05-04-2012, 09:43 PM
I have a 97 528 dark blue with a decent amount of oxidation and light scratches. I start by claying after washing, obviously!. I only have 3M perfect 3 step. I already bought it so thats what im stuck with. Im not sure which step left the holograms on my truck, so should i start with the ultrafine polish first and go from there? Instead of starting with rubbing compound

Did you use a rotary at any of the "3M steps"? Holograms/buffer-trails often are due to: rotary-infliction.

Do you have a RO/DA machine, along with some cutting/polishing foam pads. It's nigh onto impossible to rid paintwork holograms by hand...

As it's come to be known: Least aggressive first...On a 'test spot'.

Note: I'll take a look at the 3M 3-Step System's abrasives and get back with you.

:)

Bob

Vegas Transplant
05-04-2012, 10:24 PM
+1 on the test spot least aggressive.
I read all of your previous posts up to now.
Direct answer would be final polishing hand.

I like the 3M 3 step products even though they are gathering dust on a shelf.
Methodology plays as vital a role in holograms as much as product choice in my opinion.
Which pads and at what speeds for each step?

Pray4snow78
05-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Im using an older porter cable, it doesnt have an rpm indicator on it, and being new i set it to low, which im now reading is bad. The finished product is actually really blemish free and leaves a really glossy finish. Except in the direct sunlight.

Pray4snow78
05-04-2012, 10:37 PM
And a DA just isnt in the budget right now, hopefully soon as it seems to be the tool of choice today, thanks for the info fellas

Vegas Transplant
05-04-2012, 10:40 PM
What pad did you finish out with and how many pads were used to complete the truck, again a question concerning methodology - learning curve.

While I don't finish out totally hologram free using 3m or Megs and the 849, the results are more than adequate prior to lsp application.
Currently using the Optimum line with complete customer satisfaction.

opie_7afe
05-05-2012, 07:29 AM
i believe he is using this kit on a portercable 7424 non xp model, 3M Paint Restoration System 39053, 3M Scratch Remover, 3M polishing systems (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-paint-restoration-kit.html) and the porter cable 7424 is a DA. with that kit its meant for those cheap 30$ orbital wax spreaders they sell in any department store. with the 7424 being way more powerfull then a cheap wax spreader then it should give decent results. now the holograms i doubt you caused, rotary buffer and compound caused the holograms, DA's do not create holograms they create tick marks if your using a compound of sorts. Da's do create compounding marring with a compound but thats to be expected. im thinking the holograms were there before you started and the polishing removed the glaze that was hiding the holograms.

Pray4snow78
05-05-2012, 09:13 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6898989-353c-aa80.jpg
Took a pic to clarify, im narrowing it down to arms speed and too low a speed setting on polisher?

Vegas Transplant
05-05-2012, 01:02 PM
It's definitely a learning curve...Great looking truck btw!
There are many here on the forum who are self taught and rarely use a DA.
Last fall was the first time I purchased one. I use it mainly for lsp application or for finish polishing.
Work clean and keep up the good work. Looking forward to more posts and pictures.

opie_7afe
05-05-2012, 10:31 PM
ok so its not a porter cable 7424, sorry about that guys. i didnt think porter cable made an orbital. in all honesty, that machine is not capable of making holograms. the action of the tool prevents it for one, secondly the machine does not have enough power to even cause holograms. so as i said before they were probably there and hidden by a glaze that got removed when you polished it. imo that 3m kit was about 65% of the way there for a PC, id just save up for one and deal with the holograms for now and maybe return the 3m kit(you can return it even if used as you are not satisfied with the product) or call 3m directly. also remember those polishers just jiggle with any sort of pressure will make them just jiggle on the paint not accomplishing anything. light pressure it should rotate and oscillate but that wont allow the abrasives to engage into the paint to start the clearcoat leveling process to remove the defects. i tried the kit, i was not impressed AT ALL but it was on hard paint, soft paint the kit might work OK....i honestly would prefer a porter cable with the factory white pad then the 3m kit...might work for paint in already great condition with just very light defects, i used the 3m kit on a PC-7346...if you browse ebay you can find porter cable's used for around 75$ or use google shopping and get one refurbished.. would be the best option man...i hate to give bad news but you will just end up spending all this time and effort into the paint and not even be happy....as i said live with the defects for now untill you get a better polisher,pads,and products.

Pray4snow78
05-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the advice

FUNX650
05-06-2012, 07:39 AM
I may not have provided much help for you in this instance, OP,...
But it would help me out immensely if you, as well as others, would quit doing this: >>>Pray4snow LOL

:)

Bob

opie_7afe
05-06-2012, 12:06 PM
LOL i agree with bob dont pray for snow, pray for the perfectly warm overcast day, those are the perfect days to polish is when its overcast but nice and comfortable, my feet still feel sunburned from yesterdays detail....

Mobile detail
05-06-2012, 03:58 PM
LOL i agree with bob dont pray for snow, pray for the perfectly warm overcast day, those are the perfect days to polish is when its overcast but nice and comfortable, my feet still feel sunburned from yesterdays detail....

Haha I got burned like no other on Friday. It was really nice out but extremly overcast and almost no sun. I though "Na, I don't need sunblock, I;ll be working on an interior". Well 3 hours later and half a bottle of Aloe and it still hurts like heck. I hate getting sun burns. My Irish heritage does not do well with the sun. I never really get tan, more a mother of pearl or bright red coloring.

Vegas Transplant
05-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Im using an older porter cable, it doesnt have an rpm indicator on it, and being new i set it to low, which im now reading is bad. The finished product is actually really blemish free and leaves a really glossy finish. Except in the direct sunlight.

I had an idea

On the 849 the lowest setting=1000rpm.

Every click or notch=200rpm.

If your machine has the same type notch or click adjustment, then just count the notch/click

from lowest setting to top speed 3000rpm * according to the plate that is in your photo *and maybe you will have a true estimate of rpm...just a shot in the dark hand.