PDA

View Full Version : Prius Outside Mirror Trim?

dnobel
05-04-2012, 08:48 AM
I have a 2001 Prius with an outside trim issue. The black metal covers on the side mirror door attachments have become blotchy. At least part of the problem is old Nu Finish (I know, the devil's own product) that was never properly removed when applied and eventually became a kind of indelible, pale stain, like a "ghost mark." The metal parts in question appear to be anodized aluminum.

I have tried various methods to fix this, including scrubbing with DP Cleanse-All, IPA, mineral spirits, and even a last-resort home remedy, peanut butter.

Until recently I had mistakenly identified the parts as plastic (the integral trim on both the mirror and body panel are plastic and closely color matched) so I misguidedly treated it with Forever Black followed by WG exterior trim sealer. I have now stripped off both.

When I still thought the parts were plastic, I started a thread, including a picture, here. (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/49582-need-help-messed-up-black-plastic-trim.html)
I received quite a few responses, but of course I had unfortunately provided the wrong information.

Anyone have any ideas on how best to deal with this? These would be greatly appreciated.

Railroad
05-04-2012, 04:48 PM
As mentioned before,Solutions Finish. I've used it on both plastic and metal. Most recent on the faded pillars of an 03 Caddy CTS.and that was
2 months ago this past Wednesday.Pricey,but it don't take much.

CEE DOG
05-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Here's a review for the aforementioned Solution Finish. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/46257-review-solution-finish-brings-black-back-trim-restoration-product.html
I never tried it on metal but definitely works well on plastic.

LegacyGT
05-04-2012, 11:53 PM
I have maintained my Wife's prius with UTTG, but in light of Solution Finish, I think that would be your best bet. I am switching the prius over to Solution Finish on my next detail.

dnobel
05-15-2012, 08:22 AM
@Cee Dog, I already read your excellent Solution Finish review but wasn't sure if it would be appropriate for metal as well as plastic.

@Railroad Thanks for confirming that it's worked for you on metal. Sounds like it's worth a try!

Thanks to all for your input!

Setec Astronomy
05-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Sorry you didn't get a more prolific response while you were away. I'm a little skeptical about the SF on metal, but good luck with it.

Flash Gordon
05-15-2012, 08:52 AM
I have a 2001 Prius with an outside trim issue. The black metal covers on the side mirror door attachments have become blotchy. At least part of the problem is old Nu Finish (I know, the devil's own product) that was never properly removed when applied and eventually became a kind of indelible, pale stain, like a "ghost mark." The metal parts in question appear to be anodized aluminum.

I have tried various methods to fix this, including scrubbing with DP Cleanse-All, IPA, mineral spirits, and even a last-resort home remedy, peanut butter.

Until recently I had mistakenly identified the parts as plastic (the integral trim on both the mirror and body panel are plastic and closely color matched) so I misguidedly treated it with Forever Black followed by WG exterior trim sealer. I have now stripped off both.

When I still thought the parts were plastic, I started a thread, including a picture, here. (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/49582-need-help-messed-up-black-plastic-trim.html)
I received quite a few responses, but of course I had unfortunately provided the wrong information.

Anyone have any ideas on how best to deal with this? These would be greatly appreciated.

If you will reapply Nu Finish to the infected area and wipe off before it has a chance to dry that will remove it. Your problem is very simple to fix. 30 second job tops