PDA

View Full Version : Can a glaze really be topped?

Pages : [1] 2

Capa1970
05-03-2012, 05:36 PM
I was under the impression that glazes can't be topped by a wax or sealant. But then I read this on Meg 7:

Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze is a final step auto glaze to enhanced the gloss prior to wax application. Get a show car shine with Meguiars #7 Show Car (http://www.autogeek.net/meg7showcarg.html)

Apparently thre are other glazes out there that can also be topped. Why aren't glazes more popular on AG if they can be topped?

AutowerxDetailing
05-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Maybe I just haven't used a good glaze but I personally can never tell the difference if I use glaze pre-LSP or not.

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Ok, a lot of reasons...glazes are usually oily, so you can only top them with a wax, not a sealant. Many people, like Autowerx, find that oily glazes don't really improve the appearance of clearcoat finishes.

There ARE some non-oily glazes, like Danase Wet Glaze, and several variants of Poorboy's and Chemical Guys glazes, which can be topped by a wax or a sealant, and many people do use these to good effect.

Capa1970
05-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Would you guys say that a nicely polished and flat surface (from defects) would probably see no benefit from a glaze? I don't know why but I was under the impression that the fillers that glazes use would be either stripped or partially stripped by the LSP.

forrest@mothers
05-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Glazes can do more than fill minor defects.

They can add depth and a wet-look. We position our glaze as the second step of a three step system. The difference is easy to see on a dark color; not so much on a lighter color.

SON1C
05-03-2012, 06:15 PM
^

AutowerxDetailing
05-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Glazes can do more than fill minor defects.

They can add depth and a wet-look. We position our glaze as the second step of a three step system. The difference is easy to see on a dark color; not so much on a lighter color.

Maybe that's why I can never tell a difference. The wife's car is bright white and my truck is gray metallic.

ziggo99
05-03-2012, 06:26 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/48124-2008-saturn-aura.html
I used the CG's Glossworkz glaze, then topped with BFWD and then AGHD. Durability is great, no compatibility issues to be found.

SON1C
05-03-2012, 06:27 PM
how do you like aghd? and did you wait 8 hours of bfwd curing time to apply the wax?

ziggo99
05-03-2012, 06:45 PM
how do you like aghd? and did you wait 8 hours of bfwd curing time to apply the wax?

It's my favorite 'nuba wax. The included applicators should be thrown away or used for something besides apply wax. It goes on too thick with them. I used a gold Meguiar's wax pad and it made application 10x easier, first time doing that. The other two times I used it I used the included pad.

And I didn't. Todd mentioned how in about 2 hours over 80% of it had bonded and could be topped if one was pressed for time. But so far, no issues.

SON1C
05-03-2012, 07:05 PM
could you post a picture of the gold megs wax pad youre talkinga bout because I think I have two of them, just the generic megs foam hand pads?

brentech
05-03-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm planning to remove my dealer swirls this weekend.

Hope it works out well because my plan is to use:

Wolfgang Swirl Remover -> WolfGang Finishing Glaze -> WolfGang Sealant

The product page for the glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-finishing-glaze.html) specifically talks about topping the glaze with their sealant.

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2012, 07:41 PM
I'm planning to remove my dealer swirls this weekend.

Hope it works out well because my plan is to use:

Wolfgang Swirl Remover -> WolfGang Finishing Glaze -> WolfGang Sealant

The product page for the glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-finishing-glaze.html) specifically talks about topping the glaze with their sealant.

Yeah, but...THAT glaze is really a polish, not a glaze like is being discussed in this thread...

brentech
05-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Oh, I see. I guess my case is closed then. :xyxthumbs:

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Oh, I see. I guess my case is closed then. :xyxthumbs:

Yeah, sometimes the terms are confusing...like the "polishes" that are really LSP's (Zaino and Duragloss...hmmm), and the "glazes" that are really polishes (in the case of the Wolfgang).