PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing the right products

mattk
05-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Hey

I'm new to the forum here and I'm still learning a lot about detailing. I do detailing for my work, a used car lot, and on the side just recently. I have a 7424xp, and most of my detailing supplies I get from a local detailing supply company, the same ones we use at work.

1. I made the mistake of ordering the 6 inch kit :mad:, every post I read people say to use the 5 inch backing plate with the 5.5 inch pads especially for corrections. I would prefer not to have to buy another bp and smaller pad but I want quality results what should I do?

2. I know its important to use the least aggressive compound for the job, based on these pictures would this warrant ordering xmt #3 (edit: I know it shouldn't need #4) ; I already have xmt#2, and I know its going to need something more aggressive and I would be following it up with my "one step polish/wax" I get from my local supply.

Thanks in advanced

Matt

http://i45.tinypic.com/333g6r9.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/14bkfoj.jpg

habeba86
05-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Id grab some ultimate compound locally and give it a test spot.

BobbyG
05-03-2012, 06:17 PM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online Matt!

What products and equipment do you actually have? Knowing what pads and products will help others provide the information you're looking for.

You fill in the blanks for the following steps...

Wash
Clay
Compound
Polish
Sealant
Wax
1-Step products
Pads

1. There;s no doubt that the 5 1/2" setup on this stye polisher makes paint correction easier and more efficient but it can be done with the 6 1/2" setup.

Set the speed to 5 to 5 1/2
Keep the pad flat against surface
Apply enough pressure to ensure that backing plate is turning
Perform a sectional pass moving the pad across the finish at 1/2" to 1" per second.

2. Use the XMT #2 with a White foam pad. XMT #3 is more aggressive and works well with both Orange or White foam pads.

ziggo99
05-03-2012, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't knock the 6.5" pad just yet. I too started off with that size and I did a few vehicles with fine results. I only moved to 5" pads when I moved to the Meguiar's MF kit. I still use the 6.5" pads, because they work well and I have plenty of them.

Tell us what % of correction do you want? Since this looks to be a daily driver, is 100% correction realistic? Not most of the time. 80% correction?

Welcome aboard!

ski2
05-03-2012, 06:40 PM
One point to consider regarding switching over to 5.5" pads--a six pack of 5.5" flat pads is $35, a six pack of 6.5" flat pads is $50--so with the purchase of your first six pack you save almost enough to purchase the 5" backing plate--every six pack after that you're saving $15--seems like it makes sense to switch to 5.5" pads early in the process.

Bill1234
05-03-2012, 07:21 PM
If you want to use meguiars, start with UC which is least agressive. Then step it up to m105 if that does not work after a test spot. I also reccomend rubbing the product over the section before buffing to reduce splatter and product sling as many products splatter

mattk
05-03-2012, 11:25 PM
First I would like to use XMT, not meguairs since I already have their #2, although I haven't had much experience with it yet.
Bobbyg

Since I use mostly from a local detailing company called Stevens, idk what else would help but...

PC7424XP - Which I'm still new with, iv used it on maybe a 6-8 cars. I use a Dewalt rotary for work.

Wash - "Stevens"
Clay - Griots
Compound - None

Polish - Xmt Swirl #2,
- "Stevens One-step polish/wax" - Stevens description " ONE STEPS action removes mild oxidation and surface dullness. Its cross polymer action leaves a fantastic high gloss shine that is detergent resistant. "

Sealant - "Stevens Tripoly Glaze"

Pads - 6.5in orange, white, gray, blue.