PDA

View Full Version : Would you wax without claying?

Pages : [1] 2

Detailchick
05-03-2012, 04:02 PM
now I know not every car really needs to be clayed but for the ones that need it would you do it? The reason for my question is because I've seen people offer wash&wax (no claying) and some offer claying as an up-sell. I include claying in mine but don't mention it unless a car is really bad then I offer it as an up-sell.

rider9195
05-03-2012, 04:12 PM
I always clay before waxing. Almost all the cars I am asked to do need claying.

SANTA3013
05-03-2012, 05:17 PM
I always clay before waxing. Almost all the cars I am asked to do need claying.

+1

DLaw
05-03-2012, 05:21 PM
I have yet to meet a car that didn't need to be Clayed.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

rider9195
05-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention is for many it takes very long to clay the first few times doing it. But once you get the hang of it, you can easily clay your car in about 30 minutes. So taking that extra 30 minutes isn't that big of a deal usually.

SON1C
05-03-2012, 05:39 PM
you've got claying and buffing down to 30 minutes? whats average clay time for an average vehicle?

rider9195
05-03-2012, 05:41 PM
you've got claying and buffing down to 30 minutes? whats average clay time for an average vehicle?

The 30 minutes is just for claying. On larger vehicles it can take up to about 50 minutes. But then how badly the paint in contaminated contributes to how long claying may take.

BobbyG
05-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Many here and most everywhere grew up thinking a good wash & wax was the very best way to keep their car or truck looking its best. With a little education and training we found a better way to take care of our cars just a bit better.

Question: Do you need to clay before waxing?
Answer: No, you don't.
Question: Should you clay prior to waxing?
Answer: Yes you should, especially if you want your paint to last over the long haul.

Consider what claying consists of and the amount of time it really takes to properly clay a finish...about 30 to 45 minutes and that's taking your time...

Bunky
05-03-2012, 06:29 PM
If you really want to know, do a test spot. Clay half the trunk deck and not other, then wax. Feel the difference...The decision is usually obvious.

SON1C
05-03-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm going to do a side by side one of these days of a car i'll clay one side, not the other, i know you can feel the difference, and i know the "smoothness creates gloss" but I still want to see how this turns out

Shawn T.
05-03-2012, 07:12 PM
I really wish it wasn't necessary since I hate claying and when doing it in the sun....it's just a pain in the a** but it does make everything else easier and better. Easier to polish on a clayed surface, easier to wax, etc.

Flash Gordon
05-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Waxing without claying is like taking a crap without using tolilet paper

In both cases your final result will not turn out as well as it should've

brentech
05-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Waxing without claying is like taking a crap without using tolilet paper

Some countries will tell you otherwise. They prefer water.
Or the 3 shells. (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Demolition_Man_(film)) You know, from the future. Apparently the forums doesn't approve of my #### link to Demolition Man =(

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2012, 07:44 PM
You know, somehow I got logged out of the forum (never happens) and when I finally found my password and got logged back in...there's this Flash Gordon guy here...name vaguely rings a bell...

BobbyG
05-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Waxing without claying is like taking a crap without using toilet paper

Like poetry to my ears!! :laughing: :props: