PDA

View Full Version : hydrolic fluid on rag top

catfish07
05-02-2012, 06:09 PM
So a company I do work for called me wanting to know if I could help them out of jam. Seems that one of their hydrolic lines burst on their bucket trucks and got on a person's BMW tan top.. this is a new one for me and it might be out of my scope.

Its like 40 miles from me so i wanted to get a picture. I told him I would check my resources for any ideas.. I'm sure it had to have gotten on the paint too...

Any hope?

sorry about the tiny pics but that's what i got..

Vegas Transplant
05-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Those tops are manufactured with UV inhibitors.
Hydraulic fluid from a bucket truck is serious stuff. No telling what underlying problem exists.

I would pass...probably would not satisfy the vehicle owner.

I apologize for being such a Debbie Downer...

dsottum
05-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Hydraulic fluid is the same thing as brake fluid on a car. I'd pass on it as you may not be able to get it out without heavy steaming and degreasing (along with needing to reapply some convertible top protection). It'd be a stretch but you could try spilling some DOT3 brake fluid on a similar canvas and see what it takes, however that's a bit too much for such a small job.

PERFECTIONPLUS
05-02-2012, 08:53 PM
I've tried dealing with the same issue on a different vehicle. Don't do it,not going to come out and not going to be worth the headache.pass on it

catfish07
05-03-2012, 06:44 AM
Yeah, I wanted to help the guy but I really am weary about it.. I'll let him know. If it was closer I would try steam but nahhh.