PDA

View Full Version : Clay/klasse

Frenchie
05-02-2012, 11:17 AM
This just popped in my mind and I would probably never do this but maybe someone can give me a technical answer.

I always always always always clay before waxing

KAIO is a chemical cleaner. I use it quite often on various metals and even paint to get a nice clean working surface.

My question is this,

On a vehicle that is regularly maintained and detailed, could the use of KAIO replace the flaying step lets say every other wax application? So if the regular detail is every 3 months...then clay every six?

I am pretty sure of the answer but I like technical mumbo jumbo!

BobbyG
05-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Claying is a process designed to remove "embedded" particles. A finish that has not been maintained will have noticeable many more embedded particles than one that hasn't. Using a paint cleaner only will dislodge particles that can become lodged in the pad imparting surface defects rather than remove them, it sort of like polishing with dirt.

A finish that's been polished and maintained will repel airborne contaminates therefore being very smooth to the touch. With the finish washed and dry, run your fingers lightly across the finish and test for embedded particles, I'll bet you'll find very few if any. This is an ideal condition to use a paint cleaner or 1-step product once the surface has been thoroughly washed.

As a rule, I clay twice annually.

brlukosk
05-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't touch the paint with clay if it's polished, especially before waxing. Clay is probably marring the surface. Maybe not a lot, but enough if you are picky.