PDA

View Full Version : Best Spot Free Water System

mistermike3
05-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Hey everyone,

I run a mobile detailing operation, and have been considering integrating a spot free water filtration system. From what I have found, there are a lot on the market. Cheap ones and $5k ones. Would love some advice as to what some of you use, what you like, hate, etc.

Keep in mind that I use a non-pressurized water tank and electric pressure washer motor mounted in our van.

Thanks for any advice/feedback!

Michael

JorgeSFL
05-01-2012, 04:37 PM
I've been looking at this also. I've been thinking of getting at least a water softener to avoid water spots.

Setec Astronomy
05-01-2012, 04:50 PM
I would talk to your local water treatment (soft water) companies about leasing a mixed-bed DI tank that you would mount in your van. You'd probably want 2 so that you can switch to the backup when the first one is depleted. How much water do you use a day (or how much DI water would you use in a day)?

mistermike3
05-01-2012, 05:08 PM
We use about 50 gallons a day. The ones I have looked at just don't seem to be able to handle any kind of real volume.

opie_7afe
05-01-2012, 05:12 PM
in my opinion spot free rinses are a waste of money, you cant get away with not drying a car its going to leave spots regardless. sure they might not embed into the paint but will still leave spotting. if it was me i would just get a decent water filtration system(2 stage with a sediment and carbon cartridge) and use that. those DI systems will still leave spotting then the maintenance costs are not the cheapest in the world. i would just either use a blower to dry or towels. also learn the flood technique and that reduces how much water you need to wipe up from a surface.

Setec Astronomy
05-01-2012, 05:12 PM
You need to look at a commercial mixed bed DI tank, that will get you 1000 gallons between recharges easy.

MisterMike, where are you located?

Vegas Transplant
05-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Just out of curiosity mistermike3, what part of the country do you operate in please?

mistermike3
05-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Hey guys, northwest Florida is where we operate.

Our goal isn't to replace standard drying after wash. Our issue is that even though we use a tent to block out direct sun, the heat alone here causes spots. I also have reason to believe that using such a system will decrease our drying times, and increase efficiency. I also believe that it will help the overall quality on basic wash/wax jobs that do not require us doing any clay or paint correction.

These are my main concerns.

Setec Astronomy
05-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Hey guys, northwest Florida is where we operate.

That was too vague for me to find you someplace on google. You want a place like this Florida Water Treatment - "The Good Water People" (http://www.flawatertreatment.com/) or Culligan, US Filter, etc. They will set you up with a DI system you can put in your truck, downstream of your tank and pump. The tanks will have to be exchanged for recharging.

mistermike3
05-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Setec,

Thanks for the info. I will look into them. Why would you recommend a DI over other methods of filtration?

Setec Astronomy
05-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Setec,

Thanks for the info. I will look into them. Why would you recommend a DI over other methods of filtration?

The minerals that cause spotting cannot be removed by filtration. They are dissolved ions that have to be removed or exchanged through an electrochemical process. Your water treatment provider can explain it all to you, or you can go to Wikipedia or google water softening or water deionization.