PDA

View Full Version : Microfibers...when to stop using them on the paint?

Pages : [1] 2

Klasse Act
04-30-2012, 04:38 PM
So I've been thinking abou this for sometime since getting a set of new mf towels from Griot's over the winter, brand new their much more plush whereas my old ones are, well, flat. So, how do you really know its time to retire them to interior wiping duty, wheels, etc? I haven't noticed any damage to the paint when using my yellow Griots mf towel, the old ones, for use with quick detailer, so what do you guys think?

Setec Astronomy
04-30-2012, 04:41 PM
MF's come in all different weights, nap heights, etc. IME they don't get "flatter" with use. The usual reason for demotion to other duty is staining or contamination, or buying nicer towels ;).

timaishu
04-30-2012, 04:42 PM
I am curious about this as well.

But I usually stop using mine on paint if they get contaminated. Like, if I used it to dry off my tires or clean my exhaust tips. I wont use them again on paint because even after the towels are wash, the towels are almost died black, so I dunno if its safe or not.

habeba86
04-30-2012, 05:43 PM
As everyone said its usually not that the towel "wears out" its that something happens to the towel were you dont feel safe using it on paint anymore. Usually i drop mine somehow or i use it to dry rubber trim and it turns black. Will the black stain hurt my paint after a wash.....no prlly not but it jst makes me feel better not using it.

Capa1970
04-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Klasse Act also seems to be referring to mf towels losing their plushness and softness. I've noticed this as well. Does anyone know of any products that bring back the softness to mf products?

ShinyRex
04-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Klasse Act also seems to be referring to mf towels losing their plushness and softness. I've noticed this as well. Does anyone know of any products that bring back the softness to mf products?

Agreed when they start to freel too rought I relegate them to other duties.

Unfortunately I don't know if you can bring them back to life. I use CG MF wash and I hang dry them. Some are as soft as day one while others don't last as long. It seems rather hit or miss to me.

Setec Astronomy
04-30-2012, 08:55 PM

Honestly I think that's from washing in hard water. Get a water softener, I have one and I never notice my MF's losing any plushness or softness.

Bates Detailing
04-30-2012, 08:59 PM
From the business side - MFs get demoted when badly stained. They may not mar the paint or have less absorption, but they look very unprofessional IMO wiping down this freshly corrected or polished car with a extremely stained MF :nomore:

derek0609
05-01-2012, 07:13 AM
I wash my towels with CG Microfiber cleaner and tumble dry them on low. I added some dryer balls (since we can't use fabric softner) to my last load and they seem softer out of the dryer. I am in this just to detail my own cars and I regulate my stained towels to secondary duty as well. I did notice my "cheaper" MF towels seemed to get rougher over time. Needless to say, I no longer get that kind! :)

Klasse Act
05-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Hey Derek, cheaper MF's are ok to use on your tires/wheels and interior bits though, like when you use interior quick detailer. I need to get myself some of the blue GG MF's and keep them in my detailing bag that I keep in the boot....oh wait, I don't have the Mini anymore, in the rear hatch area of the CR-Z.

Good info guys, just wanted to pick your brains, thanks!

glittle75
05-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Boil them, individually, with some vinegar in the water. Vinegar is a natural fabric softener.
Boil a pot, I use a couple ounces of vinegar, then throw the towels in for 2-3 minutes and stir em, one at a time. Pull them out, wring most of the water out, then dry them. Fluffy as new again.

derek0609
05-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Boil them, individually, with some vinegar in the water. Vinegar is a natural fabric softener.
Boil a pot, I use a couple ounces of vinegar, then throw the towels in for 2-3 minutes and stir em, one at a time. Pull them out, wring most of the water out, then dry them. Fluffy as new again.

Never heard of doing it this way. I have read where people have added vinegar to the wash and just did an extra rinse cycle.............

SON1C
05-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Mine don't seem to degrade much, wash with tide free machine dry

Capa1970
05-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Honestly I think that's from washing in hard water. Get a water softener, I have one and I never notice my MF's losing any plushness or softness.

Almost for sure you are correct. We definitely have very hard water here. I may try some vinegar next time I wash them or, possibly, invest in some type of water softener.

Bugdude
03-29-2015, 07:47 PM
You could use borax.

Detergents work better in “soft water.” Borax naturally softens hard water making almost all detergents more effective.