PDA

View Full Version : Help an idiot trying to connect a Power washer and a foam cannon !!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Webb
04-30-2012, 04:29 PM
So here was my question to Bill at pressure washer direct,he stated that my pressure washer (http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoors-outdoor-power-equipment-pressure-washers-residential-electric/cleanforce-1-800-psi-1-6-gpm-axial-cam-electric-heavy-duty-pressure-washer-132815.html)would not need an adapter,but I tried everything and used all my brain power,which is limited and can't find how these 2 would connect.I have some pictures as well

These two connects,but comes off really easy not really tight.

http://i47.tinypic.com/jj30oo.jpg

Whats is this for ?

http://i49.tinypic.com/1hun2f.jpg

Thank you for submitting your question.

Q: Hello Bill which adapter would need to use with this Lance Foam ---> Amazon.com: Professional Foam Lance Adjustable with 32 oz. Bottle: Patio, Lawn & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Foam-Lance-Adjustable-Bottle/dp/B004GNZYY4)

Thank you

A: You would not need to purchase any adapter in order to use the MTM foamer attachment with the Clean Force model CF1800HD pressure washer. The foamer comes with the 1/4" quick connect plug that this pressure washer's wand accepts.

Just so you know, we carry that exact foamer attachment too. I am posting a link to it on our site:

MTM Foamer (http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/MTM-Hydro-14.0263/p6154.html)

Thanks,
Bill Mikenis
(866) 618-9274

Tundra_10
04-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Looks like (in the first picture) you did not push the connection in all the way. The cylindrical collar should "pop" up and should hold the cannon connection very well, it will be able to swivel but it will not come off.

That second connection (illustrated in second picture) is useful if you want to take the wand off your pressure washer and directly attach the cannon so you do not have the wand, then the cannon attached to it. makes for a much smaller easier to use tool. I am not too sure if the electric pressure washers have that ability, I know mine does but its gas and I know the wands for gas and electric are a little different.

timaishu
04-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Did you pull the collar back before pushing it in? Maybe its not on all the way.

Webb
04-30-2012, 04:58 PM
As seen on the 1st picture,I tried everything and the would not go all the way,I can try later but not sure if needs an Hercules strength to get them 2 together.It should like you said just pop with a minimum amount of force.

Webb
04-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Did you pull the collar back before pushing it in? Maybe its not on all the way.

Yeah I did,I tried for about an hour,but could not get it.

Vegas Transplant
04-30-2012, 05:03 PM
The stainless steel fitting (male) may not be the proper size for the female (brass) quick connect. They come in varying sizes. A quick trip to tractor supply or some place similar (HD?) with both the male and female in hand will solve the problem.

Tundra_10
04-30-2012, 05:04 PM
^^VT makes a good point...

with my unit, the collar retains a backward position and when you insert the "male" portion the collar "pops up" around it. If it comes off with you pulling on the cannon, it will not work because as soon as you squeeze the trigger and apply pressure it will shoot off and inevitably hit your vehicle. I do not want to see a thread titled "### did I do?!?!" and see gnarly pictures of a rogue foam cannon being shot at someone's beautiful ride.

Vegas Transplant
04-30-2012, 05:10 PM
This thread is becoming Freudian. LOL.

Webb
04-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys,weird thing that Bill at pressure washer direct,said that I would not need anything.

With my tight schedule I won't be able to do this until next Sunday.:doh:

Vegas Transplant
04-30-2012, 05:31 PM
You're quite welcome hand.
I may be wrong in my post, but for sure the fittings come in various sizes.
The packer may have inadvertantly placed the wrong one in your packaging.
Hopefully others will chime in one way or the other.

Setec Astronomy
04-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Thanks guys,weird thing that Bill at pressure washer direct,said that I would not need anything.

With my tight schedule I won't be able to do this until next Sunday.:doh:

Oh well, I guess he was wrong. As has been noted, there is a lot of variation in quick-disconnects, best is to take it somewhere and be sure. Of course, if you know the thread sizes on both ends, you could just order the entire coupling online and have it there before Sunday.

Flash69
04-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Guess what, I have this exact same problem. I tried to use my brand new MTM foam gun this past weekend! Same PW and same foam gun.

It DOES NOT fit, I also tried and tried. I ended up using the screw on adaptor however it makes using the foam gun a pain. Either MTM or the PW company changed something. I am a member of another board and already PMed a member which told me it should fit.

If you compare the MTM quick connect to the tips that come with the PW you will see that the lip at the very end of the MTM connector is a little longer than the lip on the PW tips. I am considering grinding the end down some in order to make it work. My concern is messing up the quick connector. One the other side it does not work now, so what's the harm.

Now either I test my grinding skills or the quest for the correct adaptor or another foam gun begins. I have a busy schedule over the next few weeks so it might be a while before I figure this problem out.

Webb
04-30-2012, 06:31 PM

Guess what, I have this exact same problem. I tried to use my brand new MTM foam gun this past weekend! Same PW and same foam gun.

It DOES NOT fit, I also tried and tried. I ended up using the screw on adaptor however it makes using the foam gun a pain. Either MTM or the PW company changed something. I am a member of another board and already PMed a member which told me it should fit.

If you compare the MTM quick connect to the tips that come with the PW you will see that the lip at the very end of the MTM connector is a little longer than the lip on the PW tips. I am considering grinding the end down some in order to make it work. My concern is messing up the quick connector. One the other side it does not work now, so what's the harm.

Now either I test my grinding skills or the quest for the correct adaptor or another foam gun begins. I have a busy schedule over the next few weeks so it might be a while before I figure this problem out.

I would not grind it,wait to see if you can get an adapter,must be one somewhere.

Vegas Transplant
04-30-2012, 06:36 PM
I would not grind it,wait to see if you can get an adapter,must be one somewhere.

+1.
SS is a hard metal.
It's a $5 fix, plus time and gas.

swanicyouth
04-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Ive researched these fittings to death and I think I can help with a fairly easy solution. First, the quick disconnect "system" comes in two popular sizes for electric consumer pressure washers: 1/4" and 3/8"; with the later being bigger. The one with the big hole and the retracting collar on the wand is the "female"; the one that came on the foamer is the "male". To make matters more confusing, the "male" has a smaller collar that is on the "tip" that looks like a ridge on closest to the smaller end (side that would go into the wand). This little "collar" comes in AT LEAST three different styles. While they all look similar, they will not work together with a female designed for another style. Even more confusing is the fact that they make male and female quick disconnects for air tools/hoses that look very similar (on the outside) to the ones that pressure washers use for water. However, on the inside, the air ones can be different. So, the way I see it, you have one of the following problems:
1. The fittings are not matching sizes. The male may be 1/4" and the female could be 3/8" or vice versa.

2. The collar style on the male doesn't match the collar style the female was designed for.

3. Somehow, a nipple got on the foamer that was designed for air tools and it won't work with the pressure washer fitting.

**** The good news is there is an easy fix. Go to Lowes or Home Depot. They sell these fitting near the pressure washers. You need to figure out if the quick disconnect fitting on your lance is 1/4" or 3/8". Also, you need to know the thread size of the fitting that screws into the foamer; they are also sized 1/4" and 3/8", but this size describes the threads itself, not the disconnect part. Threads for these type of fittings are NPT; which designates they are "pipe threads". The thing in your later picture is a "pipe thread reducer" it will adapt a
bigger pipe thread to a smaller one. The easiest thing to probably do is get a new "male" (nipple) that works with your female (wand). The male should unscrew from the foamer. Bring your lance and foamer to HD or Lowes and find a male quick disconnect that both fits in your female wand and has the correct threads to screw into the foamer. You may need the adapter if the threads are not right, but the male/female part is. Most likely, you will just need a standard pressure washer fitting male, in the right size, which is most likely 1/4" or 3/8".